#16

Kaitlyn

Liliana Shaw's death was unexpected for us. And days went by, and we still have no new lead. Erica's still missing, the case is still stagnant. The post mortem report came earlier. She died because her pharynx got cut, as expected. I don't know why the serial killer is killing these women. I don't know how these women are related. First Mikayla, now Liliana. If we don't work fast, we'll soon have a third murder on our hands.

Media is starting to raise questions, Ivanowski is furious. Brian is still throwing fits. Nothing seems to be going in the right direction. But life is okay for me. I'm doing better. I'm adjusting to normal air better now, the carbon monoxide is out of my system. Josh is a great guy, we've been on a few dates, it's going well. I haven't seen Caroline or Marcus in a while. Lately they seem immersed in their own things. I heard that Caroline got injured badly when she last saw Brian.

I sometimes don't understand why she puts herself through that hell. We aren't particularly friends, but I don't wish bad for her. Marcus is there to take care of her, so that's okay. And if there's a place to escape from all of this, my safe place, it's my best friend. Cole Briggs. I was walking home from the station and he was still at the asylum, working. He was supposed to tell the mystery girl today, I assumed he'd be leaving the asylum early.  But I didn't get a call yet, so that meant he was still working.

I called him up and he picked up. "Hey. It's my favourite girl." He said.
"Is it? Isn't Miss X your favourite girl?" I laughed.
"Miss X? So she isn't mystery girl anymore?" He laughed.
"Yeah, I needed a change."
"Don't worry. I'll tell her today. And she wouldn't need to be X anymore. You'll know her name. Infact I'm on my way to tell her now. Just need to check the cells once, if the patients are asleep."
"I'm so happy for you. Today's the day."
"I guess?" He said nervously.

"Do you think she'll say she likes me back?" He asked.
"Of course! You're amazing. Who'd say no to you?" I laughed.
"Okay. I'm nearing Brian's cell. That's the last one. And then I'm free to go. Wait... The light is on. Why isn't he asleep yet?" He said.
"I don't know. Maybe he sleeps with the light on."
"I don't know. I don't usually check on the patients before I leave. I just felt like I should today... Wait... I hear something. It's coming from Brian's cell." He said.

"What do you hear?" I asked.
"I don't know. Voices. Sounds like he's talking to himself. He's seriously crazy." He said.
"Go check. He might need help. You should call Madison to check his condition." I said.
"Yeah I'll do that if it seems necessary. Let me just see what he's up to first... Wait... What's going on here? Brian? What are you doing?" Cole said, his voice getting distant.

"I can't hear you Cole. Get closer to the phone. What's going on?" I said, confused. I heard inaudible conversation on the other end. I heard Cole's voice getting louder and louder.
"You? Out of all people? I can't believe this. Why would I want to go anywhere with you?" I heard him say as his voice grew distant again. I heard footsteps. Someone was walking. I didn't dare to speak a word. I was confused but also scared. I just wished that Cole didn't go wherever Brian wanted him to go.

After some footsteps, it got quiter. It sounded like they were outdoors. Oh no. Did Cole free Brian? Could Brian talk? Was it all pretense? Was he somewhere secluded with Brian? It wasn't safe for him. I should've taken a step, tried to trace Cole. But I didn't, I was too scared to move. Inaudible conversation again.
"I failed. Everybody trusted you!" Cole screamed. And that's when I heard him cough. "This drink. It's getting my throat dry. Did you mix something? I can't believe this... Everybody trusted you..." I heard more frantic coughs. Then a thud.

And the phone disconnected. I had my mouth covered to stop myself from screaming, my eyes were full of tears and I yet couldn't speak a word. Something horrible happened to my best friend. And I didn't do anything to save him. It was Brian. And he'll pay. I'll make him pay for whatever he did to Cole.

Marcus

It's a new morning. We got home that night, leaving Melissa's body. Nobody could know we went there. We covered up our tracks. Now all we can do is wait for someone to discover Melissa and report to the office. We stayed the night at Caroline's. Lately I don't stay at my house at all. And when we got to the office, another surprise was awaiting us. Kaitlyn, with dark circles around her eyes. It seemed like she'd worked all night. Captain signalled me to go to his cabin with Caroline.

We walked in and he said,
"Something tragic happened last night, guys. Cole Briggs was attacked. By the serial killer. We know this because his neck has the same signature. He was poisoned."
"Oh my God." Caroline said.
"He's not dead. The poison wasn't in good enough a dose. But he's in deep coma. He might never wake from it. We're lucky that our medics could save him. Had we been late, he would've been dead. The killer probably mistook him for dead and left." Ivanowski explained, and somehow I felt lighter. I didn't want him to die, no matter how bad he was.

"How did you get there on time sir? Who reported it?" I asked.
"Kaitlyn was on the phone with Cole when this happened. The killer probably didn't know. She heard the conversation and reported to us as soon as she could." Captain explained.
"What? Oh God. Thank God." I said.
"Does that mean, she heard the killer?" Caroline said.
"That's what I wanted to talk about." He got quiet, "It's Brian."