#10

"Woah, what happened to you?" Mark asked, clearly noticing how pale my face looked. I was sweating a lot. I dragged him and pushed him in the car and took the driver's seat. I turned on the ignition and raced to my house.

"Will you tell me what it is?" Mark asked, confused as I dragged him inside my house.
"I knew it wasn't my mind making things up." I told Mark.
"What do you mean?" He said, furrowing his eyebrows.
"I knew I'd seen the crime scene before. But the difference is that I thought that I'd been there. I'd not, I'd just seen it." I said.

Mark seemed to understand what I was talking about. He looked at me and asked, "Where had you seen it?"
"In a drawing. Brian's drawing."

Kaitlyn

I woke up in a room smelling of antiseptic, my head on a soft pillow. I did not remember much of what happened at Mikayla's. I looked to my side. My vision was a bit hazy, but I could still make out his dark complexion and beady eyes hidden under his rectangular glasses.

"Cole..." I whispered his name. He seemed startled and looked at me.
"Kaitlyn! You're awake. The doctors have been expecting you to wake up for a while now. Your pulses became normal in the morning today." He said. I remembered a bit of what had happened.

"Oh yes... The fire... I" I said, speaking softly when he interrupted.
"Relax, Kaitlyn. The cops are after her. They'll get her and she'll pay for what she did." Cole said, rage in his words. I coughed a bit and nodded.
"So it was Erica, after all this time. She looked decent, not like a killer." Cole said.

"Killer? What do you mean?" I said, a bit confused.
"Oh, come on. You read her journal, didn't you? She took her out that night. Probably that's why she ran away. Because she knew you'd catch her." Cole said.
"Oh no. Why would she? She loved her." I reasoned with him.

"Because she couldn't get her! Duh!" Cole said.
"Cole, what has happened to you? I saw Erica. She loved Mikayla. She wouldn't have hurt her. I just get this feeling that she wouldn't. Why would one write lies in their own journal?" I said.

"Love? If she did she'd have told us all of this the day you met her. And all I know is, she could have killed you, Kaitlyn. She could've killed the one person who knows me for myself." He said, genuine concern for me filling his eyes.
"Hey Cole, I'm alright, ain't I? You can't take this anger out on the case, right?" I said and smiled as I squeezed his hand. He swallowed and seemed to calm down a bit.

"When will they let me get back to the case?" I asked.
"Anytime you're ready. Your oxygen level is back to normal. But I'll say take some rest." Cole said.
"Hey, I'm fine. I need to get back to the case. Caroline and Marcus must be handling it well, but it's my duty to lend a hand." I said.
"Alright. I'll just get the discharge papers ready." He said and left reluctantly. I tried to sit up relaxing my back on the pillow. I was still a bit weak.

I rang Caroline up. She didn't pick up. I rang Marcus up. "Hey, Marcus. Where's Caroline?" I asked.
"Uh... Just around here somewhere. How are you Kaitlyn?" He said.
"I'm fine. Just woke up. How's the case been?"
"Oh, we found Erica's car. It fell down a great height to the river."
"So, she's... Dead?" I asked, a bit doubtful.
"We doubt. She didn't have a reason to suicide. Running away was more ideal. And an accident is not such a good possibility either, she knew the way to the chasm. We think she's misleading us." Marcus explained.

"I don't think she killed Mikayla, Marcus." I said and sighed.
"Didn't expect that coming from you. She tried to burn you down. Along with her house. She's clearly crazy." Marcus laughed.
"I don't know why she did that, Marcus. But I don't know. It's just this feeling. Have you read her journal yet?" I asked.

"I have." Marcus replied, "What about it? She's clearly written that she took her out that night. Unlike what she told us."
"She was planning to. We don't know for sure that she did. And come on, she loved her." I said.
"So? That's another reason. Maybe she killed her because she loved another man. Maybe she couldn't take it that Mikayla would never date her." Marcus said.

"Would you kill Caroline just because she's never looked at you like that? Just because she has kept you in the friend zone since forever  and she's not over Brian yet?" I asked, irritated.
"What? What are you talking about? Carly is my best friend. I don't have feelings for her." Marcus said, his tone nervous.
"Everybody knows, Marcus, except her. She doesn't have the slightest idea because she doesn't think of any man but Brian. Would you kill her because of that?" I said.

"You've got it all wrong... I... Carly... I gotta go. I'll see you at the office later."  He said and cut the call. I sighed and looked at my side to see a young blond, in his late 20's or early 30's in age, smiling at me. "Trouble in paradise?" He smirked.
"Definitely trouble. Don't know about paradise." I said and laughed. He laughed back and forwarded his hand for me to shake.

He took a seat at the foot of my bed and said, "I'm Josh. I work here as a surgeon."
"Kaitlyn. Pleasure to meet you." I smiled.
"I couldn't help but notice what an attractive woman you are and how perfectly striking green eyes you've got." He said.
"Thanks. You don't look so bad yourself." I smiled. He laughed and said, "I was wondering if I can take you out? Tonight?"
"Sure. I'd like that." I smiled.