Chapter 2: Dark Voices

My throat burned. I saw tears forming in his eyes and could feel my tears rising. "Cas let go of me," I said unable to bring my voice above a whisper. "Amelia Amelia" he repeated. He said her name over and over again as if it were a prayer.

I left soon after. I couldn't bear seeing him that way. And the worst part was I couldn't do anything to help him and he knew it. I couldn't bring Amelia back. She'd been missing for over two months and the police had told us not to hold on to any hope. The locals cooked up a story about Caspar killing her in a rage.  Of course, anyone who knew Cas knew it wasn't true. He loved her too much. We knew something terrible had happened to her. Without any evidence or leads her case went cold. Caspar didn't show up for the funeral where we buried an empty casket. He believed she was still alive.

He's gone completely mad, I thought as I flopped on my bed. Who could blame him? Amelia was his whole life. It's good that she's gone, something dark inside me whispered.  Now you can have him all to yourself. He was always yours. I gasped and shoved the thought away. I could never do that to Amelia.  Even though every time I saw them together my stomach felt like someone was sticking needles into it.