Chapter 4 : The Verdict

I was being selfish. It had been two days since Mr Kendall's attack and I was on my way to visit him. But in all honesty I wanted to inquire about Cas. I had not heard from him or his mom since the attack. This was the longest we had gone without speaking since we were five.

Mrs Kendall was waiting for me outside the hospital. She must have read my text message. I offered a small smile before hugging her. I had exhausted all forms of 'I'm sorry's and 'Everything will work out's this past month. There was nothing I could have said to lighten this woman's heavy heart. After seeing Mr Kendall and giving him the care package I made him, Mrs Kendall and I made our way to the hospital's cafeteria.

"I know you want to know more about what state Caspar is in" she said once we had sat down. I looked at my shoes and felt my cheeks go red. How could I be so cruel? There was a man suffering in pain here and I was more worried about the person responsible for his poor state. 
"I really am concerned for his dad but-"
"There's no need to explain. I think it's time to tell you what Rob and I have decided". I nodded slowly. Caspar's mom had always understood me and I was glad she wasn't annoyed. I took a sip of my coffee and had to force myself not to gag. I sighed. Hospital coffee, I thought.
"As you know,Caspar hasn't been..quite himself lately. He's gotten sick. And we need him to get better" her glassy eyes were tearing up so I reached over to clasp her hand. She took and shaky breath and adjusted her glasses. "He needs..he needs professional help. And we only want what's best for him. I didn't want to have to do this but after what he did to Rob I just-" she choked back a sob. I squeezed her clammy hands, willing her to go on. "So we have decided that he will be staying at Cullenhill until he stablises"she finished. I wanted to laugh. She couldn't possibly be serious. I felt my body stiffen.  Cullenhill. A mental hospital.