Chapter 5 : Enter, Amelia

Tears were brimming around my eyes, threatening to fall out any second. The thought of Caspar living away from his family, away from everything he knew was just too much. It was like he was being ripped away from me all over again.

It was the first day of eleventh grade and I was nervous. I was planning to meet Cas and Simon outside my house so we could leave together. It had been our little tradition since we were 12. I ran a brush through my brown curls once more. I had tried out a new shampoo that morning and I loved how it made my hair smell so spicy. I grabbed my bag and bolted downstairs. The boys were already outside.

"I can't believe summer's already over" Cas pouted. I for one,was happy it was over. Cas had been away the whole time, at camp. The fact that he was back delighted me enough to tolerate school. I was busy memorizing the details of his face for the hundredth time, the way his nose wrinkled when he laughed and how deep his dimples were as we walked up the school stairs.

Simon stopped. I turned around to see him tying his laces. My eyes drifted to the parking lot. That's when I saw her. And I knew Caspar saw her too. She walked slowly and I hated the way Cas was looking at her. She flicked a strand of long, jet black hair out of her face. I was surprised when she ran up to us and flung her arms around Caspar's neck. Her pale blue eyes smiled. "I missed you" she said. Caspar laughed. He turned to me and looked as if he forgot I was there. "Oh, Kat this is Amelia. We met at camp"

It had been a year since Cas introduced me to her. A year since I was pushed to the side. It wasn't his fault or hers. I couldn't help but think, if Caspar had not met Amelia, he wouldn't be in this sorrowful state. He would be with Simon and I attending classes and fooling around like he was supposed to.

I sighed as I walked to my car. I decided to stop by the library to get some studying done. There were far too many memories of Caspar at my house for me to concentrate there.
The library was quiet. I sat down at my usual spot and took out my books.