Chapter 4

Not Edited*

The pack's annual party is being held on the next full moon. Turns out it's tomorrow.

Everyone in the kitchen is preparing and scrambling around. I try to help where I'm needed but it's hard to focus when all I can think about is Damon.

He deserved my rant and I don't regret it. Since he's an Alpha, I'm a bit worried. What if I pushed his buttons too hard and he snaps? I could be kicked out and lose my home!

I shake the thoughts out of my head. The party is tomorrow and it seems like both is ready.

The Luna gifted me a new dress a couple of years ago. I love the dress so much. It's simple so I won't stand out and it's very comfortable.

The goal tonight is to stay away from Damon and enjoy myself a little. I curl my hair and put it half up. My makeup is done so I put my nude heels on. After finishing, I head downstairs. I stay in the corner when the pack members start to arrive.

People are dancing and eating the appetizers. After a while, the music picks up and everyone was dancing.

The Alpha paused the music and cleared his throat. "Ladies and gentlemen, please enjoy the evening! I would like to invite my son to pick a woman to dance with." He turned to Damon and nudged him a bit. "Please join them!"

I watched for Damon to look at me. I waited for him to give me a bit of attention. I received no such thing. He went straight to Bree and took her hand. I shouldn't feel like this. I should be angry, not sad.

Bree looked stunning. No wonder he loves her. Her dress was ivory and little flowers were scattered throughout the fabric. She stood out and I didn't. My plain dress was nothing compared to hers.

Damon and Bree were dancing, and every so often, I would catch a glimpse of them through the crowd. That could've been me. I should be the one in his arms, spinning in circles. I'm his mate and he doesn't want me.

My lip starts quivering and tears fill my eyes. I try to blink them away but the dam breaks. Seeing them smiling and laughing made my heart break.

I have to leave before I lose it. I head up to my room and take everything off. This was a sick joke. The moon goddess must have a grudge against me. What have I done to deserve this?

The next morning I woke up early. I had breakfast duty once again. I head down to the kitchen and bump into someone on the way.

"Oh, sorry! Didn't see you." I look up and curly haired boy staring down at me. His dark hair was a mess and his dimples stood out when he smiled. "Wait, do I know you?" He isn't dressed like a high ranked wolf and he came out of the kitchen. Maybe he is like me.

I shook my head and smiled slightly. "I remember! You were at the party last night!" His smiled got bigger and I nodded back. "You weren't there very long. Not that I was looking for you or anything because that would be weird and I'm not a stalker." He stuttered and rambled about him not being weird.

I laughed and asked, "What's your name?"

"How rude of me! My name's Samuel but you can call me Sam." He held out his hand I I shook it. Sam is a cute name. He is attractive but he isn't Damon.

"I'm Mabel." There is a silence and we both stood there. "Um.. I have breakfast duty..."

"Of course!" He opened the door to the kitchen. "I'll see you around Mabel." He waved and left.

For some reason, Sam was on my mind for most of the day. Damon was in the back of my mind but Sam held the spotlight. Maybe he already has a mate. He was just being friendly and nice. But no one is nice to me.

That afternoon, I took a walk to the lake. Once I reached the edge of the water, I heard some leaves rustling. I whip my head around and spot the last person I want to see. I look back at the lake to ignore him.

I feel his eyes on me and have the urge to yell and scream at him. I hold myself together and just focus on my breathing.

"Why do smell like another male?" He growls and I roll my eyes.

"I don't have to tell you anything." I can hear him pacing and and he growls. I finally turn to look at him and I regret it instantly. His eyes are black and teeth are elongated. I stand up and turn towards him.

"No male can touch you, mate!" His wolf is obviously in control. Anger consumes me, and I am about to loose control.

"You rejected me! I'm not yours anymore and you made that crystal clear!" Realization hits his face and his eyes go back to the normal color.

Without saying a word, he runs off back into the woods. I sit back down and focus on the lake. He can't expect me to be here when he wants me. I'm not a side chick. I should be his first choice, but I'm not.

The lake is calming, but it can't calm the storm brewing inside of me. I bolt up and head to the pack house. I only see red. He can't control me.

When I stomp in, my eyes fall on Sam. He is leaning on the kitchen counter. I walk up to him and turn him around. His lips are on mine in a second. He hesitates at first, but soon starts to take the lead.

I start to run out of breath, so I pulled away. We were breathing hard and were tangled in each other's arms. We stand there for a bit.

I start to regret my actions. I don't know what came over me. My wolf probably hates me even more.

A low growl cuts off my thoughts.

Oh shit.

1044 words