Chapter 15: Preparations and Guesses

Around a month before the baby was born, Elena wanted to get a few preparations in. Like learning how to knit as she wanted to make clothing for her baby.

Something that Elena's nearly eighteen-year-old sister wanted to do was to experiment with Old Wives Tales to find out the gender. Elena decided that would be the starting point for the day as it could possibly help with what colors Elena should make the clothing.

"Okay!" Isabel said with a wide grin, getting a notebook to mark down points, "The first on my list is where the bump is located. If it's higher, it's a girl, lower it's a boy."

"I'd say it's higher?" Elena questioned looking at her baby bump. Elena then felt a few kicks.
"Okay, one mark for girl," Isabel smiled, drawing a line on the side marked "girl".

"Gabe, for this one we need your wedding ring," Isa explained. Gabe took off his ring and handed it to Isa. "Abuela, have you got some string anywhere?" Isa asked.

Luisa stood up and came back a few seconds later with some string.

"El, lie down," Isa told Elena. She did as she was told along with questioning why she was doing this.

"Now, if the ring goes back and forth, it's a girl, if it circles, it'll be a boy," Isa explained. She held the string with the ring tied to it and it didn't do anything for a second before it started to swing in a circle. That was one for boy.

And the tales went on. One was to do with cravings, salty was a boy, sweet was a girl. Another was to do with morning sickness, that led to having a boy.

After more experiments the points were equal. Five for girl and five for boy.

"Well that doesn't help anything!" Elena stated, slightly frustrated.

Elena then got up and followed her Abuela into her room and sat on the bed, waiting for Luisa to get the wool and knitting needles.

Even after a few hours Elena still couldn't get the hang of knitting.

"Ugh, really, again? Why do I have to keep poking myself?!" Elena asked herself frustrated.

"Calm down Mija. The key is to concentrate. Don't pay attention to anything else," Luisa said, calming down her granddaughter.

It took another few hours until Elena finally successfully made a little shirt.

"Abuela! I did it!" Elena exclaimed.
"Great job Mija! Now you can try and make other things and if you want, I can teach you how to sew," Luisa smiled.

And during that last month of Elena's pregnancy, Elena knitted and sewed until she was happy with everything. And then came the day.