Chapter 3: Pre-Kerberos

After 15 minutes of awkward silence, the three finally reached the Holt residence. Katie was the first one out, and she walked into her house, opening the door for Shiro and Keith. As Keith passed, he and Katie locked hateful stares.

The Holts welcomed them in and they had dinner. Katie and Keith stayed silent, though everyone else was having a great time. After dinner, Shiro, Matt, and Mr. Holt were ready to start their meeting. Mrs. Holt had left to tend to the biology project she had going and Katie disappeared to the safety of the shop.

"The girls disappeared quickly," Shiro lamented.

"Yeah," Matt shrugged. "Mom has a biology project she is working on and Katie most likely went to the garage to built some new gadget. That or she is just sitting on the roof," 

"Keith, why don't you go to the garage and hang out with her while we are having our meeting?" Shiro asked. Keith reluctantly went to the garage. The place was clean, no Katie in sight. The garage door was open, however, and he walked out and looked up at the roof. S

Sure enough, there was Katie looking at the star encased sky that was just peering out from behind the sunset. Keith looked around and found a drainpipe and he climbed up. Once he was on the roof, he walked over and sat down next to her.

"Shiro?" Katie asked not looking away from the night sky. Keith relaxed a little bit and looked up at the sky as well.

"Yep," Keith replied. They sat there in silence. "What are doing up here anyway's?"

"Enjoying what life I have left," Katie replied. Keith looked at her. He had assumed that she was joking, but she was utterly serious.

"What do you mean," Keith asked. Katie looked at him, then looked back at the sky.

"What does it matter?"

"It does matter though," Keith said. 

"I'm not going to kill myself if that is what you are suggesting," Katie said. "So, why does it matter?"

"You basically said that you knew you were going to die soon," Keith said.

"I did yes, why would you care?" Katie asked. Keith sighed and leaned back. 

"I don't. But your family might care,"

"They wouldn't understand, I don't think anyone would," Katie said. "But I don't have depression or anything,"

"Try me," Keith said. 

"What?"

"I said try me. You said that you don't know if anyone would understand. Try me,"

"I know you would get it though, so what is the point?" Katie said.

"How do you know that?" Keith said sitting up a little bit.

"School is the jungle that adults forget. They forget how kids get ripped apart, or all of the bad and inappropriate thing that kids do in school. That is how I am going to die. To the jaws of societies jungle,"

"I...that sounds accurate," Keith said. "So, who do you think you are going to fall to?"

"Don't know. I am hated by everyone, especially now, so it depends on who gets me first," Katie said.

"Why now?" Keith asked.

"You don't know? You are literally the most popular guy at the school, to every girl and guy who has a crush on you, seeing me, who they already hate, get even close to you is enough of a reason to kill me," Katie said. "I might be small enough to not get punched for a few days at most,"

"You'll be fine, I won't let them hurt you,"

"Yeah right, why would you help me?"

"I got you into this mess, I should get you out," Keith said. Keith looked back at the sky. Katie just stared at him in disbelief. Then she looked back at the sky, the stars brighter than ever before.