CHAPTER 11 'The Euphoria'

• Dedicated to Anupama Thobbi

Chapter 11 EUPHORIA

After hearing that he is the owner of the college she is studying in, she almost misses a beat. Both Mona and Chinnu keep staring at him for some time and finally Chinnu breaks the ice and asks Mayank.

Chinnu: (still with her eyes fixed on him), “You mean you are THE OWNER, ‘THE’ MALHOTRA, YOU ARE THE GRANDSON OF MEERA MALHOTRA?

Mona: (dumbstruck), “So it was you who was supposed to take the charge as MD of this hospital after the former MD, Meera Malhotra’s demise?

Chinnu: And you didn’t take up the charge so the hospital had to get  a temporary MD(Managing Director) “Mr Vyas’? Why didn’t you take up the charge? Why isn’t your photo anywhere in the college? Why didn’t you ever attend any function related to the college and hospital?

Mayank(getting a little irritated with the girls shooting him with questions), “ Why would you expect my photo  in the college when I am doing nothing for the institution? Have you seen my mom? She is the finance director of the college ever since the college started. Only people who work with her in her department would know her.Moreover granny was whole and sole of this college and she was responsible for the college’s progress.”

Chinnu: (confused): “But how did the Guard recognise you.”

Mayank: (proudly), “Well! Grand Ma would give away clothes and bonus to all the lower cadre staff, right from sweeper to the technicians of this college every year on my birthday. So obviously these people know me very well.”

Mona: (curious), “Just one last query. Which we always wondered, though we know a little but just wanted to confirm. You are Malhotra and the college and hospital is St Mary which isa  little strange to digest. You know what I mean...................”

Mayank: (now he is really bugged up answering their queries), “When my Dad was in hospital my grandma felt the need for proper treatment facilities which were not available for the poor in this city. A saintly person guided her and motivated her to build this hospital and so its named after her.”

Mona: (agreeing), “Ofcourse, ofcourse. Just wanted to confirm.”

Mayank: “So now you know everything, I guess you need not be afraid of me anymore.”

Both just gesture with a nod saying yes and no to his questions .

Mona And Chinnu together: (excited), “Afarid??? Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa they scream out in excitement. We  have befriended the MD of the college we are studying in..........Are you kidding??

Mayank: (feels really embarrassed and uncomfortable), “Wo Wo wo  Ladies relax!!! Now you both are scaring me for sure. Can’t you just keep this a little low and talk nothing about me being MD and all that .........”

Mona and Chinnu: (whispering) , “Yes we understand but....................(screaming)  WE ARE EXCITED!!!!!!

Mona: (gushes with joy), “Why don’t you both talk for a little while and say bye. I will wait for Chinnu in the car. Bye Mr MD, Bye Chinnu.”

Mona runs back in excitement to her car. Here both are standing close to each other.

Mayank looks into her eyes and says, “Tell me, is this important to you that I am the MD of this college?”

Chinnu: (reassuringly), “It’s good to know that you are MD of this college, but if you weren’t, then also you would be my special friend.”

 Mayank: “ Thanks! That means a lot to me right now. My life is much complicated than it looks. Hopefully after your exams we shall talk this out. But it’s a request try not to make it a big issue as it is a little sensitive thing. Otherwise I would have never denied taking the charge as MD after grand ma’s death. So..... please............ .”

Chinnu: “ Sure , will keep it low. And I will  wait to hear a lot more about you.”

Mayank: (kisses her on her forehead and says), “I think it’s getting too late for you, you may leave now, if possible we shall catch up tomorrow, but not here for sure.”

Chinnu: (smiles has stretched to maximum), “Sure, we will meet.”

Chinnu goes back to Mona who is waiting for her in her car. As soon as she comes,  Mona comes out hugs Chinnu and says, “You have become the star of the college already. Everyone is interested to know about you and Mr MD.”

Chinnu, (shyly), “There is nothing between us that anyone should be interested to know.”

Mona,: “Why not? He loves you!!!!”

Chinnu: “I think so, but he hasn’t  proposed me yet. So.........it would be wrong to jump up to conclusions.”

Mona: “Come on Chinnu, we outsider can tell you that there is a spark between you two. That’s why they want to know more about you guys.”

Chinnu,(anxiously), “DON’T TELL ME THAT YOU ALREADY TOLD EVERYONE ABOUT THIS??”

Mona(assuring her not to worry), “Oh no!  not all”

Chinnu breathes a heavy sigh.

Mona: (shrugging her shoulders), “I just messaged all our batch-mates in hostel.”

Chinnu, (yells at Mona), “Ewwwwww!!! What have you done? Mayank told me to keep it low........... and you are spreading  the news ............OMG! I hope Mayank doesn’t get mad at me.”

Mona, (chuckles), “Chinnu, Mayank is totally bowled over and is’ head over heels’ in love with you,  so he won’t be mad at you for your blunders also, and what I have done is a silly mistake......so Chill!!!.”

Both hug each other and head back to home. Here Mayank directly goes to a pub after meeting Chinnu. When Chinnu calls him back she finds out that he is in the pub, she worries that he may get drunk again and try to attempt suicide.

Chinnu; (worried), “Why are you in the pub? Are you a chronic alcoholic? Do you take drugs also.”

Mayank: (laughs): “I just came in here to close my account and clear off my pending bills. I am not a chronic alcoholic, it is just that I was terribly upset and didn’t know how to cope .”

Mayank : “ All this while I was close to only two people in my life, my grandmother and my mother. God took away my grandmother and My mom married someone else and deserted my life. When she left me I was torn apart.”

Chinnu: (touched by his state), “I feel so sorry for you. I want to meet you right away!!”

Mayank: (worried), “But its already 9pm. It’s too late , we shall meet tomorrow. “

Chinnu: “ Okay 2maro at 2pm at Baskin Robbins near Mona’s house. Take down the address.....#####.....*****”

Mayank: “Fine! I will be there in right on time. Bye take care.”