CHAPTER 5

• Dedicated to Parveen Doddamani

CHAPTER 5

RECAP: IN LAST CHAPTER MAYANK IS SEEN BEING DISCORDIAL WITH HIS MOM AND IS UPSET THAT SHE REMARRIED AND HAS NOW NO SPACE FOR HIM IN HER LIFE. MEANWHILE HE GETS CALL FROM CHINNU'S MOTHER AND HE HELPS THE Rao COUPLE IN FULLFILLING HOSPITAL FORMALITIES. FINDING HIS MOM AND HER HUSBAND AT HIS HOME UPSETS MAYANK. HE STARTS DRINKING HEAVILY AND IS ABOUT TO JUMP DOWN FROM HIS TERRACE WHEN HE GETS CHINNU'S CALL. PERPLEXED CHINNU IN ATTEMPT TO DISTRACT HIM AND SAVE HIM SAYS TO GET MARRIED TO HER. NOW NEXT............

Chinnu enters her father's room, where both her mother and father are still discussing about Mayank and his generosity.  Chinnu is tense and worries about the outcome of what she said she is also concerned about his well being.

Seeing her worried her mother enquires: “What happened Chinnu? Why are you so tense?

Chinnu: “Mayank was about to commit suicide when I called him. And to distract him I did something foolish.”

Mrs Rao: (Worried) “why? What? What on earth made him take such drastic? And what did you do?

Chinnu: ( hesitatingly): “ Don’t be mad at me, I realised that he is upset probably because of his family, he seems to be craving for their love so to console him I said he can have my parents as parents-in-law  by marrying me.”

Chinnu: (embarrassed) “I know its heights of foolishness and what on earth made say that I don’t know but that kind of worked and he decided not to jump. So.................... “

Mrs Rao (puzzled) “I don’t understand what you are saying. Why would he attempt suicide? Why did you say that stuff? Anyways did you call their parents and inform them?

Chinnu (again cutting a sorry figure and embarrassed) “Mamma don’t get mad at me again, but I don’t know this guy. He is a stranger. Apart from his name I don’t know anything about him. He is the guy whom I called by mistake. It was a ‘Wrong Number’,”

Mr Rao and Mrs Rao: “What you don’t know this guy and you keep calling him. You don’t know this guy and he comes to help us in needy time. What’s going on? Better explain!”

Chinnu narrates them the whole story behind this wrong number.

Mr Rao: (humbly and calmly) “I understand you. I don’t blame you either, I also can’t deny that this guy is a good person by heart but something is just not sounding good to me.”

Mrs Rao: (still irritated) “Whatever it is no need to talk any more to this stranger. What if he is some criminal, or some psycho your life will be in danger? Whatever is done is done!!! Now close this wrong guy chapter. And I would rather suggest you to inform police.”

Chinnu “He isn’t criminal. This is too much of imagination. Moreover he helped you out when our own friends and close ones couldn’t extend any help. He deserves some benefit of doubt.”

Mr Rao: (trying to calm down hyper excited and worried mother and daughter) “Calm down both of you. Well Chinnu is right. This guy is a good person, unfortunately something terribly went wrong with him but your mom is also right it isn’t right to be in contact with a stranger. Since this guy has been an outstanding example for humanity we shouldn’t leave him during the time of crisis.”

Mrs Rao intrudes asking bluntly,” What do you mean? Do you want your daughter to be married to some drunkard stranger?”

Mr Rao: (maturely) “No! I don’t at all mean to say that I just said we can’t let him do some wrong to himself. Well that marriage crap what Chinnu told, we don’t have to worry much. Since he was inebriated, he wouldn’t have actually registered the thought but luckily it has prevented him from taking the extreme step. But that doesn’t guarantee that he won’t try to commit suicide again. He is not a child to be bribed with some toy. So as good people in society we should inform his parents and see that they are aware of this.”

Both mother and daughter are relieved.

Chinnu: (confused) “But how can we help him? We don’t know his parents.”

Mr Rao: “Call him again and give your cell to me I will handle this now.”

Chinnu (hesitatingly) “But dad you are unwell..... And ....”

Mr Rao: (reassuring) “You don’t worry about me. You go back to your friend’s house and study well for your exams. It’s already 10pm Mona’s father said he will pick you up on his way to his home. So get ready now.”

Meanwhile Mona’s father arrives and after exchanging how about each other he heads to his home along with Chinnu.

After Chinnu leaves the hospital, Mr Rao calls Mayank. One of his servants picks the call.

Servant: “Mayank sir, fell down from stairs and is at present unconscious, we have called our family doctor who will be here any moment”

After confirming that Mayank is out of danger they both sigh (sign of relief). He takes Mayank’s mother’s number and says he will call her tomorrow and talk to her. Before servant could tell Mr Rao any further about Mrs Vyas the cell phone’s battery gets discharged. Finally the day ends with lot of melodrama.

Here at Mona’s house Chinnu is in no mood to study and decides to sleep and rest while Mona is still studying. Curling up in the bed covering under the blanket, Chinnu keeps thinking about this mystery guy.... moan realises that Chinnu is badly affected with the whole goof up, quietens her with nice words.

Next day at around 9am in the morning after usual doctor rounds Mr Rao decides to call Mayank’s mother. He calls her; Mrs Vyas picks the call.....

Mrs Vyas: “Hello, who is this?

Mr Rao: pauses on hearing her voice, as he feels he is familiar to this voice, then clearing his throat he continues... “Am I speaking to Mayank’s mother?”

Mrs Vyas also feels familiar to Mr Rae’s voice, and continues hesitatingly, “Yes I am Mrs Vyas. May I know who this is?”

Mr Rao: “This is Mr Rao, Mr Subba Rao”.

Mrs Vyas: “Subbu?”

Mr Rao: “Maitri? Is that you?”

****************************************************************************************************************let me see if anyone can guess the story now......?