3. LADY OF THE COURT

Celeste Florent, a spirited girl of seventeen, a plain if not kind face with tawny eyes and freckles across her nose, stood behind the noblemen with a keen smile

Celeste Florent, a spirited girl of seventeen, a plain if not kind face with tawny eyes and freckles across her nose, stood behind the noblemen with a keen smile. In all her days she couldn't imagine breathing the same air as the many people who were here today.

Born and raised in Dragonstone, Celeste had been selected, from the bannermen of House Baratheon, being the third and youngest granddaughter, there was no one better to become the handmaiden of Alynna Stark. Celeste kept her dark blonde hair from her face, to be a more welcoming presence and guarded her excitement well.

'When will she come?' an eager voice broke out. Celeste found the restless Tobias Baratheon peering up at Jon Arryn, the Hand of the King.

'Very soon my Lord,' he said. Celeste believed Jon Arryn, Lord of the Vale to be a caring man and from what she could tell, Tobias was innocent, hardly lacking in the boyish charm the best of young men had, definitely following in his uncles looks rather than Stannis. With long dark hair almost reaching his shoulders and a squared handsome face.

The sounds of horses' hooves brought all the talking to an abrupt halt. Celeste took a deep breath as the carriage arrived. Lord Stannis Baratheon stepped forward, Tobias instinctively by his side, behind him the famed Onion Knight, Ser Davos Seaworth and his son Matthos. Recognising her, Ser Davos kindly nodded at Celeste who beamed at him, her father was one of few lords who didn't think nor speak lowly of Ser Davos.

Lord Eddard of House Stark climbed down from his horse, a stern face, bearing the chill the North often wore, he appeared just as cold. He assisted Lady Alynna from her carriage. Her face softer than her father for she was more Tully than Stark, except for the darker hair. With eyes that held abundant curiosity, she walked beside her father, poised and dignified, surprisingly well for an eleven-year-old. Ned's eyes brightened at the sight of Jon Arryn who had become like a second father to him during his time at the Vale.

'Lord Stannis Baratheon and Lord Tobias Baratheon, I present you, my eldest daughter, a Lady of Winterfell, Alynna Stark,' he introduced. Alynna performed a little curtsey, raising her head with a soft smile.

'Lord Stannis and Lord Tobias Baratheon, it is an honour to be here for this occasion.' Her voice was low and clear. Stannis Baratheon now knew Alynna had been the right choice for his son. King Robert had been the one to suggest the match, uncommonly fond of Tobias, he reminded Robert so much of himself at the same age, Stannis couldn't deny that. He'd been reproachful at the idea at first, preferring his son to wed someone closer to Storm's End but feeling the measure of the quiet girl, Stannis sensed instantly of Tobias's alacrity towards her. A right mixture of the Stark and Tully blood, and before long she might just become a beauty for all the realm to see. If she were anything like her honourable father, Stannis could trust this future marriage to spring blissfully, and finally, hold some leverage in the North.

'We welcome you, Lady Alynna of Winterfell,' Stannis spoke with as much bluntness as would meet the face. He would never offer any false sincerity or affection, only the cold truth. Fortunately, Alynna had learned all she could about her future family, so she was not unnerved by his lack of general warmth.