5. THE GODS INJUSTICE

Seeds blossomed into trees, moons birthed and died, and the sun rose with each day, nothing failed time

Seeds blossomed into trees, moons birthed and died, and the sun rose with each day, nothing failed time. Nothing but the seasons. 

Alynna knew, more than anyone in King's Landing, that winter was coming, and in all the years spent in King's Landing, she had not shed a tear, all but the day her father had left her.

'I've never seen you cry.' Tobias mumbled. He lay on his bed, his face tinged with grey, his lips cracked, and his eyes were milky white. The once handsome boy now looked much older than seventeen.

Alynna didn't have the words to express the sorrow she felt inside her. Tobias had been her one true friend in this place. And all it took was a fever to snatch him away from her.

'You only knew how to make me laugh, why would I ever cry in your presence?' she said softly. He wore a faint smile at her words.

'Grand Maester Pycelle says I have only days before...' Tobias trailed off, his eyes rested on the ceiling instead. Alynna sat beside him, brushing the hair away from his face.

'Do you remember when we first met?' Alynna asked. She watched him squint in thought and then slowly formed his mouth into a grin.

'You were a very little lady, so prim and proper,' he closed his eyes, 'and you look nothing like you did then, you grew up here, you're pretty now,' Tobias said.

'Not all of us are lucky to have been born handsome,' her voice broke as she spoke.

'And what did that give me? More girls to fawn over some lord, it was a nuisance, but then again, there was that knight from the Riverlands, and the squire to Ser Meryn Trant,' he said.

'Don't forget that Rivers boy, the blonde one who almost beat you bloody after you stopped meeting with him,' she murmured.

'I have to admit, that was a poor choice,' Tobias sighed and then glanced over to Alynna.

'I'm sorry I wasn't what you were hoping for, I failed you,' he said. She wasn't one for affection but within the circumstances, she pressed her lips against his hand. 

'It's not your fault, none of us wanted this, and it could have always been worse,' Alynna reasoned.

'At least we can both go home now,' he spoke weakly, clutching his stomach in pain, the tears flowed freely from Tobias's eyes.

'This is farewell Alynna. I'm not going to die in King's Landing, my last breath shall be in Storm's End. With my family.' He told her. It pained her to see him in this now wasted form when he had never been short of being full of life and energy. It didn't seem right. Nothing did anymore. 

'I'm certain your determination will conquer death long enough for that,' she replied in consolation. In all honesty, she hoped his wish could come true, but she really had no idea.

'Alynna please say goodbye, you're my closest friend, I won't be able to live with myself if you don't,' Tobias said in mock warning.

'And just when I thought there was no crueller joke in the world than the one the Gods have punished you with, you outmatch them,' she shook her head while biting back sobs. Tobias gripped her wrist, the warmth of her hands comforted him, he leaned back in ease while Alynna's thoughts were flooded with agony and pain. She couldn't bear it any longer.