only you.

"So how are you feeling today?" It was such a stupid question, at least to me it was. I don't have a degree in psychology or whatever.

"I go back to that day a lot. I wonder what would've happened if I drove that day, or if I got held up at the school, or if I went down a different street. Am I crazy for saying that I'm glad I was there? My best friend took a bullet for me. And it was because I was there I was able to save him too."

"How are the nightmares?"

"They come and go. I know I can call him if I need to talk."

"Have you taken him up on that offer?"

"No."

"Why not?"

"I feel like I'm bothering him. He's the one who got shot and I'm the one who needs to talk."

"Haley, you were held at gunpoint, you watched him get shot and loaded into an ambulance. It was a traumatic day for you too, don't forget that." And I guess that was something I needed to hear.

♔♔♔

I walked into my house, tossing my keys onto the counter

I walked into my house, tossing my keys onto the counter. I walked over to my refrigerator and grabbed a bottle of water, a knock at the door gaining my attention.

"It's open!" I probably shouldn't yell that, and I should probably lock my door but the only people who come over are June, Neal, Savannah and sometimes, the occasional Mozzie.

"Hey, Hales." I turn to see Neal. He had been discharged earlier in the week but wasn't allowed to work quite yet.

"Hey, stranger. What's up?" I asked, leaning against the island.

"I'm here to return your book."

My eyes lit up, I think he read it faster than I did. "That was quick!"

"You should take into consideration that I was at the hospital for a few days and then wasn't allowed to work for a day or two."

"What did you think?"

"I enjoyed it. I thought it was really good and I never got bored reading it." He gently placed the book down on the table, his eyes landing on a bag from the local book store. "You got another book?"

"Guilty..."

"Hales, that's easily your third book this month."

"It's bad, I know! But some kids do crack or smoke weed, I read books. And hey, knowledge is power." I shrugged, smiling at the tall, blue-eyed man. He chuckled.

"How was therapy today?"

"It was good. I feel good talking to him about it. And before you say it, yes, I know I can talk to you, too." I opened my computer and went on my school email, my inbox flooded with messages from my students. They wanted to know how I was doing and if and when I planned on coming back. "So I did some thinking..."