Bidder #18

6 P.M

"Wow, Safia you look stunning!! All the guys are going to want to dance with you tonight at the charity event." Deun shrieked.

"Dance?" I said with confusion

"Yeah. Didn't you read the invitation? All the sponsors for this event are going to go up for auction. The money will go to the charity and the highest bidder will get a dance. Also, I saw that one girl from yesterday on the list. She's a sponsor for Father's company."

"Her name is Iris and we may just be dead meat if we meet her tonight," I complained.
———————————————————————————

"Mr. Cain, thank you for taking my daughter to the charity event tonight in my place," Mr. Chen remarked.

"It's my pleasure Sir. Iris asked me not too long ago and I stick by my words." I said painfully because I wasn't sober when I agreed, though, I am a man who keeps my promises - drunk or sober.

"Joe, get the car ready."

"Yes, Master Kai."

"I AM READY!" Iris hollered from above the stairs. "Sorry for making you wait babe. How do I look? I really like this green color and this dress is Dior! There's only 2 of these in the world." Iris stated spinning 360.

"Beautiful my daughter," Mr. Chen chuckled. "Oh, Mr. Cain, if it won't be much of a bother, I trust you to take Iris home tonight. I will be letting my guards go home early today because I'm in a good mood. Hopefully I'll hear good news from you two soon."

I let out a subtle smile, all this for a business deal.

[In the car]

"So it looks like there will be an auction going on tonight for a dance with all the sponsors and I'm expecting for you to bid the highest for me. They will be covering our faces — but since you know how my dress looks like, it shouldn't be hard for you." Iris demanded.

"Hmm," I replied.
———————————————————————————
[behind the stage at the charity event - ready to go up for auction]

"Deun, let me know if you see Iris. Every time we see her, we must go the opposite way. She'll take any opportunity to embarrass me in front of so many influential people," I commented.

"Uhhh Doc, she's right there, she's sponsor representative #6" Deun says with a face full of uncertainty pointing behind me. "....and, you're both wearing the same dress....."

"THE SAME DRESS?," I said in disbelief. I turned around quick enough to catch a glimpse of her profile before she was able to turned around. Thankfully, the head cover was placed on her before me because they started at the end of the line up.