chapter one // found

The wind howled, crashing against tall, decaying stone structures. The sun beat down on them, casting long shadows. What appeared to have formerly been a city was completely destroyed— overgrown over years and years of abandonment. Dirt and sand were picked up in the empty wind, swirling around in small storms on the ground. In the midst of this charred heap of disrepair was a figure, trudging wearily through the rubble with their head angled down.

Suddenly, a tremendous bang was heard from somewhere to the side. The figure's head flicked upwards, aimed towards the source of the odd noise. It looked as if the blighted building to the right of the figure was collapsing. The figure quickly hurried away from the building as it began to implode. As the building met its fate, dust and dirt flew through the air. The figure lifted their arms to shield their face.

When the noise settled down, the figure slowly lowered their arms. Their purple orbs had scanned the wreckage before they carefully continued trudging on.

This place was completely falling apart. At least, that was Flower's diagnosis of the city which she had somehow miraculously stumbled upon. A part of her was hopeful about the place, but judging by the scene that she had just witnessed, she had lost a good amount of it. Perhaps she could find a building that wasn't falling apart that might provide her shelter for the night. Or even better, she could possibly find some food and water.

Flower slowed to a stop. She had been walking for what felt like ages, and as she finally settled down, leaning against what looked to be a sturdy structure, the effects of such rapidly rushed the girl. Her white-haired head bowed as a flurry of coughs stormed her, causing her to slide down against the structure she was leaning on.

My God. What kind of a hell has my life become?

Flower tried to think of her life before the Anarchy arrived. It was difficult since it had been so long, but several details did come back to her mind. Her life had been normal, uneventful. Flower had a good group of close friends, a kind, caring family, food, shelter, and water... My, did she wish for such a life now.

She could mostly handle the lack of food and water, making up for it by distracting herself with various things. What she couldn't handle, now, was the loneliness. The loneliness horribly ached— it seemed to gouge out her soul, ripping it at the seams like a hungry, fierce wolf. Flower longed to see someone again— a friend, a family member, hell, even a complete stranger. She just needed someone to remind her that she wasn't in this desolate place alone.

Back before the Anarchy began, Flower recalled she enjoyed her space. Yes, she did mostly enjoy being in the presence of others, but when it got too overwhelming she'd always step aside. Do something to distract herself. Flower had enjoyed those moments that she got for herself. She just wished she could still understand why.

In fact, before the Anarchy, many things were true that had since then changed. Her closest friends had been a kind group of boys named Piko, Fukase, and Oliver. They were the greatest, most loyal friends that a single girl could ask for. Specifically, out of the bunch, she recalled being the better to Piko. Perhaps she'd even had feelings for him during those times. But it didn't matter now; not in this barren wasteland.

A loud cracking noise echoed through the wind, reminding Flower of how dangerous this city was. She quickly gathered herself, getting up and walking again.

Her shabby boots swept the dirt and sand, kicking it up in a small cloud of dust that followed Flower behind her. Gingerly, she swept a strand of white hair out of her vision as she examined the dismal scene. It looked like all the other cities she'd been to— desolate and far beyond repair. Humans are idiots, she thought angrily, kicking a small rock in her way. Why did we have to do this?