chapter 13 // elimination

TW: descriptive murder, death
——
Luka walked through the hallway of the third floor with several, storming thoughts in her mind. She had just finished "questioning" Flower and was headed to Lord Miku's chambers to deliver her whatever "news" she gathered. A part of her— no, all of her— felt nervous lying to her leader. If she were to found out about the misinformation, Luka would be slaughtered in an instant.

In an attempt to force these thoughts to the back of her mind, the woman tried focusing on the rebellion. Luka knew that Lord Miku would listen to anything she said; perhaps she could take advantage of that for the sake of taking her down. Furthermore, Miku would follow her anywhere. If Luka could isolate her...

Her thoughts trailed off as she reached the doorway to Lord Miku's chambers. Gathering a deep breath, she opened the tall doors, walking into the room.

"Luka! My dear! How did the questioning go?"

Luka looked up to see Lord Miku sitting on her throne, beaming. Her hands were clapped together in excitement, as though she had been looking forward to results for a while. The High Order member took a short bow before straightening up, looking her leader directly in the eyes.

"I am afraid Subject Flower knew nothing of either Daina or Yohio's escape, ma'am."

As she completed her statement, a disdainful look donned Lord Miku's face. "Oh. Well, I suppose that is suitable. My other two interrogators, Sora and Gumi, should bear me results."

Luka tilted her head down.

"Do not act ashamed, dear Luka! Your results are valid, and I will take them under heavy consideration." There was a pause. "With that said, you may be dismissed."

The fuchsia-haired woman nodded, turning on her heel and exiting the room.

Sora and Gumi. I just have to see Sora and Gumi. Sora will be easy to persuade, but Gumi...

As if on cue, the green-haired girl turned the corner, striding pridefully towards Miku's chambers. It was then that a dark thought entered Luka's mind. Narrowing her eyes, she approached the High Order member.

"Oh, Gumi! How did your questioning go?"

Gumi turned to look at Luka, a mischievous glint in her eyes. "Oh, Ruby told me all kinds of things! I barely even needed to use pressure. I need to get to Lord Miku as soon as possible."

Luka pretended to look surprised. "In that case, you should know that Lord Miku is not currently in her chambers. She told me to inform you to meet her on the second floor, since the results of our questioning will be top secret. I was actually just waiting for you."

The green-haired High Rank beamed. "Oh! Well then, let's get going, shall we?"

Luka nodded. She felt a resentful emotion rising in her chest, and it required a lot of her strength to force it down. I can't believe she took the bait. As they walked down the hallway and towards the staircase, the woman silently hoped they wouldn't run into Sora. After all, she'd have to talk to her separately.

The duo ultimately reached the second floor. Luka turned to face a confused Gumi, nodding as if to say "I'll lead the way."

And so she did. The duo walked down the hall until they eventually reached an abandoned room to their right. Luka opened the door, and Gumi walked in. The woman followed behind her as the green-haired girl turned around, looking her directly in the eyes.

"There's no one here! What's going on—"

Before she could conclude her statement, Luka quickly jumped on top of Gumi, fastening her to the ground. The girl let out several startled yelps as Luka beat her down. She briefly glanced around the room until her gaze fell on a broad piece of fallen wood in a corner. Turning back to Gumi, she seized one of her arms, twisting it gruesomely to cause a quick distraction. The girl let out a cry of pain and Luka jumped off of her, grabbing the plank just as her opponent got up. With one swing, Gumi was swiftly knocked out.

Luka stared at the unconscious High Rank for several seconds. Now, the question was simple— what was she going to do with her?

To Luka, there was no straightforward answer, however. She looked around. They appeared to have been in one of the few intact rooms left of this floor. Every bit of furniture looked relatively usable, and the walls appeared to be stable. The section of the room that caught Luka's eye, however, was the small mini-kitchen set in one of the room's corners. Glancing back at Gumi, she bit her lip.

She'd never be convinced. She's too devout of a follower to Miku.

Gradually, the pink-haired woman made her way into the kitchen. Dust was layered up on the counters, and everything looked completely untouched. The only thing that she cared about, however, was the wooden knife-block sitting, fully racked. Shakily, she reached a hand out, grabbing one. Luka turned back to Gumi, who still lay unconscious.

She won't feel a thing.

It happened in a matter of seconds. Luka had done it before she could tell herself otherwise.

She slowly released the grip from her knife, which was lodged directly through Gumi's chest. The girl's breathing had stopped almost immediately after, and now she lay completely still.

The information could never have reached Miku, she tried to tell herself. This was for the best.

However, Luka couldn't prevent a few rogue tears from breaking loose as she gazed at Gumi's lifeless body.