Chapter 1: The Swords of the Forgotten

(These chapters are going to be pretty short, so don't expect lengthy ones like my other books! \m/(*_*)\m/ ...)

I look around, seeing only tents of multiple colours, some combinations, some simple. Mostly, thought, there's black. This is the camp of the group called the Swords of the Forgotten. I'm a part of it, but I was forced to join, when they destroyed my village and I had nowhere else to go. By the way, my name is Edmund Jackmann.

I'm pretty good with heavy two-handed weapons, but I prefer a light weapon with a shield. Dual wielding is definitely not my forte. The group I belong to is a group of plunderers, self-proclaimed treasure hunters. In fact, they hunt small villages to plunder. However, their main goal is to find Ausar the Vile's treasure, full of jewels and gold. Supposedly.

Currently, we're waiting for a group of people to come, so we can ambush them. I spot them, but say nothing. Someone else follows my gaze and sees our targets. Everyone slides down from the steep but short hill of dirt, and surrounds the little convoy. We attack.

"Edmund! Get to the back and collect their goods!" I jump as I hear my name, but obey instantly. Getting to the back of the carriage, I see a woman inside shoot me a dirty look. I cringe, but keep my sword and shield in hand. I grab everything I can take, and am followed by others, who empty the carriage of its goods.

I glance around, and, right before giving my plunder to the leader, slip some coins and food in my pocket. The boss doesn't catch on. My allowance is the lowest, so I'm the only one doing this. 

We walk back to the camp on the hill,cand detach the tents, getting ready for the march to our next location. 

--------------------1 day later --------------

We arrive. It's almost sunset, so we set up the tents as fast as possible, and then get ready for the dinner.

Once we've eaten our meal of meat, potato-ey mush and some sort of red salad, I slip away into my lone, badly set up tent. At least this means I can eat what I took without anyone knowing. 

After the eventful day, I'm pretty tired; it's not every day we come across people we can steal from. I sigh, and go to sleep in my sagging tent. 

As I wake up, there's a commotion outside. We're being attacked. I see people from the Swords of the Forgotten running to ge ttheir weapons, but most have been killed or injured.

I grab my sword and shield, but I hesitate. Why? I don't want to be with these people. So why? Is it because I want to find the treasure of Ausar? It isn't. I'm sure of it. 

Groaning, I fall, pretending to be dead. Everyone passes by me, but no-one notices me. Good. Finally, when the yells have subsided, I get up, but the leader, who is clutching his arm, sees me. He roars, and draws a shining broadsword, and attacks. I block with my shield, and counter, defeating him. I can't believe I did that, but I run, and then escape into the wilderness. And my goal? To find  the treasure of Ausar.