2|Pyramids and Diamonds

Happy J13 to y'all Redz and J5 to any Nupe babies

2015

"Baby girl, what got you in ya head like this? You okay?" Liberty questioned her best friend and line sister, Rayne. Continuing to walk lazily down the quad, Rayne shrugged, her head hanging. Liberty quickly noticed this and stopped abruptly. 

Taking her index and fore fingers and placing it under Rayne's chin, she lifted her best friend's head gently.

Grabbing her hand, Liberty led the two to the monument in the center of the quad, affectionately called the 'ment by the students. "Don't let me catch you with ya head down again, Crystal. You told me I couldn't do it when I was in my funk, so the same goes for you."

Rayne nodded, chuckling slightly at the mention of her middle name. "Okay, Mama Free," she joked. She came up with the nickname after they became close at the beginning of their freshman year at Southern University.

Rolling her eyes, Liberty moved closer to her friend as they sat. "What's wrong, though?" She pondered, her voice softer than before.

 Rayne sighed, leaning her head on Liberty's shoulder. "I don't know, Free. I'm so confused by him." Liberty snickered, knowing immediately who her best friend was discussing. She refused to call him by his name, so Liberty omitted it as well. She knew soon enough it wasn't going to be able to stay out of Rayne's mouth.

"It's not like he treats you bad or sum' like that, Ray. He's just reacting," she offered. Rayne huffed. "But he's starting to withdraw from me 'cause I don't wanna be with him."

Liberty raised one eyebrow, clearly conflicted with the last statement. "Be with you, how?" she countered anxiously. 

Rayne quickly shook her head, realizing how compromising that sounded. "Not like that. I told him about our 'saving until marriage' plan. He was cool wit' all of that." 

Both Liberty and Rayne were virgins and planned on being so until they were wedded. Although they didn't know each other well in high school, they had similar feelings of being left out or useless occasionally. The friends they had were interested in excessive drinking and sex to become "popular" at the school. When they met, Liberty told Rayne about how they should save it until marriage or until they were fully comfortable with themselves. It was three years ago and the young women fortunately bloomed from the phase with the help of each other, but decided it would be easier to save it.

Liberty nodded, signaling for Rayne to finish. "He wants a relationship with me," Rayne stated quietly. "Okay? What's the problem? I like this one for you, and you know that says a lot," she reasoned.

Rayne nodded. Although they both supported and loved each other, Liberty was more protective of Rayne. It was strange because she was the younger one of the two, but she had seen her friend get hurt due to people taking advantage of her open mind and heart. Liberty was lovable, but people knew better than to continuously mess up with her. She was trying to get her best friend to grow the same mentality. 

"I'm good off of relationships for right now," Rayne stated matter-of-factly.

Liberty rolled her eyes harder than ever at the memory of Rayne's ex-boyfriend, Elijah. They were dating for a few years and she found out he had been cheating from the very beginning. It wouldn't have been as bad if he told her that he couldn't handle holding out, but instead he lied and had her looking stupid in front of the LSU girls who he'd messed with. He turned around and blamed it on her, making her seem like a bad girlfriend for 'not taking care of his needs.'

"And he still tryna get you back wit' his lame ass." She said. "Told you not to date no damn Iota, anyway. He just wanted clout 'cause ain't no one knew the li'l frat he was reppin'. Thirsty Alpha Eta head ass. Wanted an Alpha Tau girl on his side," she mumbled.