Chapter 1: The First Boundary

The Doctor sits at her desk, glaring at a monitor as if it had just insulted her. She scrunches up her face, deeply confused at the problem that lay before her.

"Hey Doctor," Ryan says as he walks Yaz through the door. "Yasmin Khan, meet sergeant Smith- or as we like to call her, the Doctor. Doc, this is Yaz. She's the new constable that relocated from Stamford."

She snaps her head up to look at the pair who made her lose her train of thought. Her slight annoyance is soon gone as she takes in the sight of the young woman standing next to Ryan.

She's much shorter than him, with dark skin and even darker hair. Her eyes are wide with anxiousness and excitement, the light reflecting off of their deep brown making them seem impossibly bigger. Her uniform fits her perfectly, hugging her curves tightly yet not too much. She looks incredibly young, maybe around 20 or 21.

The Doctor stands and makes her way around her desk to greet them properly.

"Hi," Yaz greets, extending her arm towards the blonde woman in front of her. The desk was obscuring most of her body, but from what Yaz is able to see now, she's definitely in shape. She's wearing the more casual uniform- a light blue button-down and a black tie, along with a navy-blue jumper with the 'police' symbol stitched into the left side of her chest. The jumper is just tight enough that it outlines the frame of her arms clearly. "Pleasure to meet you," she finally continues.

"And you," she replies. Her eyes are slightly squinted, and she furrows her brow. "You're a bit young to be a full-time constable... Most people your age would still be in training."

Yaz laughs. "Well I guess I'm a bit different from the rest then. Say... aren't you a bit young to be a sergeant?"

For a moment, she questions her choice of an answer as the Doctor is yet to respond. After a brief pause, a smirk begins to form on her lips. It grows and grows until it's a full-on smile, causing her laugh lines and crows feet to be accentuated. Then, she releases the most endearing laugh, followed by a dramatic sigh.

"Well, I tell you what Yasmin Khan- these guys are gonna have a lot to put up with between the both of us, I can tell."

---

"Why do they call you the Doctor?" Yaz asks in-between bites of her sandwich. The Doctor kindly offered to sit with her during her first lunch break, most likely out of pity for her being alone.

"I've got a lot of degrees, including PhD's" she replies matter-of-factly.

"How many?"

"Thirteen..." the Doctor answers quietly.

"What?!"

"Shhh! It's not that amazing, keep it down." A hint of red starts to make its way across her cheeks.

"Not that amazing? It's incredible!" Yaz can't believe it. Why would such a smart woman be in the police force? And how the hell did she manage that many degrees?

"Aw thanks... but enough about me now, what about you?"

"Oh I haven't got any PhD's, I-"

"No not that, how'd you get through the training program so fast?" She takes the last sip of her coffee and sets it on the table, ready for an explanation.

"What? Oh, I didn't. It took me the usual amount of time..." After a moment of confusion, Yaz remembers what the Doctor had said about her age when they met.

"But then... how old are you? If you don't mind me asking." The Doctor tries to mask her eagerness for an answer but fails.

Yaz grins. "How old do you think I am?"