Chapter 3: The Name of The Doctor

Yaz knew she would have to tell Rose about the Doctor, she just didn't expect it to happen so soon. She was hoping she would have some time to think about her "feelings" and then tell her when she's ready. It doesn't seem like that's the case.

"She's... a sergeant at the department, sergeant Smith" she reluctantly confesses.

"Huh, this is a pretty big coincidence..." Rose muses.

"What do you mean?"

"My boyfriend's name is John. John Smith. And that-" she points at the Doctor, "is his sister."

They remain silent until Yaz's brain catches up with everything. "So, your boyfriend is the brother of my sergeant?"

She's met with a look of confusion. "Your sergeant?"

Yaz immediately realises she's screwed. "Oh no, not my sergeant, I meant a sergeant... at my department. There's a few of them, I just..." she faulters at the sight of the other woman raising her eyebrows. "Shut up," she huffs.

"I didn't say anything!"

"You were thinking about something! It's all over your face," she points at her now-forming smile.

"And yours too," the blonde smirks. "I met her once. Nice lady, she's pretty bubbly from what I gathered."

"When did you meet her?" Yaz tries to ask casually.

"Oh, I went to see John at their house."

"Their house?" Yaz puts the emphasis on 'their'.

"Yeah, well I guess technically it's her house. John's been through some stuff- he got fired from his job because of a dick called Harold Saxon, so they live together for now. But he's planning on moving in with me soon. Maybe before that happens I can take you there to meet him, and while you're there you can see your woman," she nudges Yaz with her shoulder.

"She's not my woman."

"Yet," she retorts.

---

The Doctor sheds her jacket and hangs it up with a sigh. "I'm home!" she announces into the air. She then promptly walks to the kitchen to grab herself a snack- a few custard cream biscuits never hurt anybody.

"Someone's in a happy mood, aren't they?" she hears from behind her. She turns to face her brother, who is now smirking at her with his laptop in hand. His glasses are crooked, and his hair is a mess, having been spiked in every direction by an interesting position on the couch, she guesses.

"What makes you say that?" she asks obliviously while shoving a biscuit into her mouth, crumbs immediately spilling out at the movement of her lips as she talks.

"Well, firstly, you're smiling like an idiot. Secondly, you only ever go straight for the custard creams when you've had a really good day."

"Tsk, am I really that predictable?" she asks while scrunching her nose up. He simply raises his eyebrow and makes his way to a chair at the kitchen table. "How're you and Rose- finalise your moving plans yet? Not that I'm trying to kick you out or anything," she inquires.

"We spoke earlier and set a day to aim for, but I just received a text from her a minute ago saying to put a pause on everything we discussed... Not for any reason involving our relationship though, don't worry. She said she'll explain later- she's going out to dinner with her mate first," he informs her, halting his typing for the occasional eccentric hand gesture.

"How about the book, nearly getting there?" she asks in between chews of her custard creams.

John merely replies with a look that reads "don't even go there".