𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐎𝐧𝐞

"SO I TALKED TO MARTHA YESTERDAY." John suddenly stated as he ran his fingers down Marie's spine, her head resting upon his chest.

"Yeah?" She questioned tiredly as she listened to the steady patter of rain upon John's window, droplets yet to scatter the nascent rays of rising sun. The sound brought a calmness to mind, a soothing melody, a natural lullaby.

However, her thoughts were still distressed due to the fact she was leaving for America in four weeks and still had not told John. The thought made her heart hammer but she keep her attitude casual with no hint of hesitation. He couldn't find out yet. Not for a couple of days at least.

"Yeah." He said quietly as if deep in thought as he continued to trace her spine.

"Said she wants to go out tomorrow night."

"And what did you say?" She released a gentle sigh and raised her head to rest her chin on his chest.

"I told her fucking no." He said nonchalantly

"Why?" She suddenly pushed herself up and lifted the sheet to cover herself in case another Shelby brother decided to make an appearance like last time.

"Cause I told you I would take you to that new bar tomorrow night. Your my main girl, I'm not gonna forget about our plans, am I?" He said, as if it was the most obvious thing in the world.

"But you really wanted to shag her?" Marie replied utterly confused.

"Be awkward with a girl and then have a probably shit fuck or hang out with my best mate and get a good fuck?"

"Second one I'm guessing?" She said, as a small blush crawled up her neck and rested upon her cheeks.

"Of-bloody-course!" John placed a kiss on her forehead.

She released a light giggle, making his heart flutter.

"Besides I would choose you over any other girl, you know that." He said after a moment of silence had passed.

"Yeah..."

"And you would choose me right?"

"Well I haven't been with an older man before, might give Arthur a try next."

"Oh fuck off." John shouted letting out a booming laugh.

He began to kiss her softly. Moving from her lips to her cheek to her forehead and all over her face making her giggle. He suddenly moved from her lips to her neck.

He knew that once he kissed her neck her resistance would crumble. After just a few delicate touches of his warm lips her hands started to do his bidding. They fell down his back as her head spinning, all previous thoughts stopped in their tracks. Now there was only one desire, one wish, and they both knew it was just a matter of time before it happened again.

Marie's friendship with John began from a young age. A swirl of cuddles and inside jokes that made her feel as if she was the only person in the world. It was frustration at her cluelessness and three in the morning phone calls because one of them was breaking down. It was support and fights and makeups with a lot of tears. It was whispering into the telephone so they wouldn't wake their parents when the phone calls lasted into the early hours of the morning.

But the friendship with Marie for John turned into secret kisses behind closed doors, gentle touches while cuddling when they thought no one was looking and secret nights loving one another behind closed doors. Friendship with Marie meant that the chill of January, unknown to him, in his last year before going off to war, was suddenly warmed with the rekindling of feelings for the girl who would forever remain his best friend. It meant realising that instead of a small flame as it was before, it became a wildfire. Burning out of control and threatening to consume him whole.

That wildfire was now called love.