𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐢𝐟𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐏𝐞𝐫𝐩𝐥𝐞𝐱𝐢𝐭𝐲

MARIE'S HEART THUMPED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SLOW, SHALLOW BREATHES

MARIE'S HEART THUMPED IN ACCORDANCE WITH SLOW, SHALLOW BREATHES. Serenity was plastered across her face as she slept. At peace, her consciousness swirled in the land of dreams, oblivious to the physical world. However, she could not be kept from it long as a forceful knocking awoke her from her sleep.

Raising herself from the chair her mind was hazy and her sight was blurry as she made her way to the hallway that lead her to the front door.

"John? What are you doing here?" She spoke, confusion etched on her face as she opened the door to see John Shelby impatiently waiting at the other side.

His patience was wearing thin. Marie could tell by his shallow breathing and constant fidgeting. "Will you let me in?"

It had been a couple of days that had passed since she spoke to Tommy. Drowning in her own self pity she hadn't left her home, with the exception of work. She knew she had no right to speak on John's behalf, they weren't even together. She was more frustrated at the fact Tommy was willing to take away his happiness, his own choices so easily.

Taking a breath and leaning her head softly against the door, she closed her eyes. "I told you to stay away, John. Why is that so difficult to do?"

He was silent for a moment, just shaking his head. "I'm sorry." He spoke, avoiding eye contact before he barged through the door and into her home.

"John!"

"Was it you?" He stopped in the centre of her living room, before turning around to face her.

She stood frozen. Thinking of all the possible things he could be asking her about. "What?"

"Was it you who spoke to Tommy?" Silence. All she could do was stare at John as silence swallowed the room. Feeling goosebumps, she wrapped the thin blanket tighter around her shoulders.

"What are you-"

"Don't fuck with me, please. I know it wasn't Pol but she wouldn't tell me who." His face was frustrated and hopeful all at once. "Please just..." He paused releasing a heavy sigh while shaking his head. "Tell me the truth."

Marie kept silent for a long time, listening to the echoing of the clock. The patter of the rain on the window. Her heart thumping in her chest. She and John were having a silent conversation as they stared into each others eyes.

"Yes it was me." Her voice wavered, exhilarated from the tension between them. There was an endearing nervousness in it that was easy for John to decipher.

As they stood, there was a moment between action and consequence, eternal and fleeting. It's when whatever you did has occurred but the reaction is yet to come. The seed of embarrassment gets wedged inside you ready to blossom red upon your cheeks. Whenever Marie would recall her most embarrassing moments in the future, her personal hall of shame, she knew this would be the memory that surfaced.

John gazed at her and really looked at her. Her willowy frame. Her lack of makeup. Her slightly crooked nose. But in her, he saw beauty. Her eyes were a rich blue that stole your breath while looking through your soul. Her hair was like an obsidian waterfall that tumbled down her back in thick locks. Her hands that were strong yet at the same time gentle. And her lips…how John wanted to kiss those lips.

And so he did. It wasn’t like one of those close-mouthed kisses like you do when you’re on the playground and you’ve never held hands before with a girl. It was full on, open-mouthed, almost sexual kiss. And they both treasured it. He loved the way her small body melted into his. The way their lips fit like two puzzle pieces. The way she relented as he played with her hair and held her tighter and tighter. When they broke away after what seemed like forever she looked at him.

Marie gently leaned in and kissed his lips again. It was slow and sensual. They pulled apart and took shaky, shallow breaths.

Unable to contain themselves anymore, John held her head in his hands and pulled her into a fiery and passionate kiss. His hands work their way around her body, feeling each crevasse, each line along her perfect physique.

"Years John." Marie spoke. "For years I've been waiting for you to open your eyes and see that I am right here. So now that you have, I'm not going be the good girl you crawl back to when your finished fucking around with other women or the business."

Through the short confession John continued to stare at Marie as if she was the most beautiful person in this entire world - in his world - and never ceased to let go of her shaky hands. His heart swelled and ached at her words, he never wanted to see Marie this way ever; broken and beaten to an emotional pulp.

"I know." he said quietly.

"So promise me. Promise me this is forever. And that you won't leave because I don't think I could handle it again. No more going 'round in circles, alright?" She quivered out in a cry and looked at John with a sad smile on her face, the healing of a broken friendship was soon to follow, so she wanted to savour him as much as she could.

“I’ve loved you for so so long John—I thought —I thought I could stay away. And then when I found out about Tommy... you were just, you—and I..” She laughed out a sob at the stupidity of the confession and never wished to relive that moment again.

"I wasn't very good at it, alright? I get that, but I did love you. I still do. So I promise, I'm not going." He whispered, his expression utterly serious.

A girlish grin spread onto her freckled cheeks as they locked eyes for just a moment. Just long enough for them to feel safe with one another.

"Okay."

"Okay?" He broke out into that goofy smile.

"Okay." She reassured him. He was staring at her, and she could see the corners of his eyes crinkling because of his smile.

Maries skin was amber in the reflection of the crimson flames of the stove. As always she wore her navy dress, so soft over her pale skin, golden hair tumbling to the small of her back. John was so scared everything would change after she left, but if anything it's made they're confusing relationship so much deeper, more sensual.

Her hands were alight on his face, moving down past his collar bone, resting on the jacket that fitted his figure.

"So we forgive each other?" His crooked smile climbed up one more time.

"Always," She said to him. "Everytime."

In these moments she loved him with her eyes as much as her body. Their souls were mingling in the quiet moments between action and stillness. The cool room already felt warm. John found it hard to hold back, to make the moment last. Isn't it always the way, so caught between the intoxication of the climax and extending a moment they never wanted to end.

"Its about time Mr Shelby." She laughed, still holding him close.

"It's about bloody time."

______________

That's it. They're together! After all this time, so I promise no more extreme dramatics...for now anyway.

P. S. As ridiculous as it sounds I love making gifs now.