𝐂𝐡𝐚𝐩𝐭𝐞𝐫 𝐅𝐨𝐮𝐫𝐭𝐞𝐞𝐧

𝐅𝐨𝐫𝐞𝐛𝐨𝐝𝐢𝐧𝐠

"I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING

"I NEED TO TELL YOU SOMETHING." Marie heard the rushed whisper of Polly Gray as she cleaned the small glasses behind the bar.

"God, Polly! You always sneak up on people like that?" The young woman laughed as she turned to face Polly.

"Love, I'm being serious. I overheard Thomas, he's planning on marrying John off to a Lee girl."

The glass the Marie was gently holding in her hand slipped from her grasp, releasing a piercing shatter within the bar. However, it wasn't loud enough to attract the attention of the drunken men. She suddenly took on a pale look, as if she'd been painted with white-wash - even her lips were barely there. Then with one step forward she crumpled like a puppet suddenly released of their strings, falling against the bar.

"What? Polly what do you mean?" She questioned, releasing a shaky sigh.

"There was complications." Polly muttered, as she started at the saddened girl before her.

"What kind of complications?" Marie snapped, before lowing her voice to a whisper. "The business?"

The look in Polly eyes told her the truth. She had white knuckles from clenching her fist too hard, and gritted teeth from effort to remain silent.

Her face was red with suppressed rage, "Where is he, Polly? Where the hell is he?"

The slam of the office door was the tempest inside Marie made audible. Her heart was thumping. Anxiety, fear, trepidation. She didn't know what to feel.

"Miss Brown! To what do I owe this pleasure." Thomas Shelby spoke removing his glasses from his face and setting them down on the desk.

"Oh don't fuck with me Thomas!" She began, "You know exactly why I'm here!"

The odler man sighed, leaning back in his leather seat. "Really? I have no idea."

Maries eyes narrowed as Thomas continued taunting her. "How could you do it?" She asked, tightening her coat around herself. However, Thomas remained unimpressed.

A cruel smirk formed on his smooth face as he stood and walked around to the front of his desk. He leaned forward eyes bearing straight into hers. "Listen, can't you trust its for the sake of the business-"

"Fuck the business!" Her hands twitched and she could feel a vein pulsing in her forehead. Every word stung only fueling the fire that burned inside of her. Every violated phrase was like gasoline to it, her fists began to clench and her jaw became rooted.

Thomas released a sigh before speaking, "In this company we need to sacrifice-"

"John's happiness?" She questioned with a sarcastic laugh, her anger and hatred getting the better of her. She closed in the distance between Thomas and herself.

Maries voice lowered, almost to a whisper. "Please Thomas. Don't become the heartless man everyone thinks you are."

Thomas's eyes widened for a second before narrowing. "I'll be honest Miss Brown...I didn't think you had it in you."

"Well I don't need validation from you Thomas Shelby. Never have, never will." And with that she turned and left through the door, missing the blue eyes that watched her while she left through his office door.