part 9 of 14

Scamp awoke, lying on his side on a cold table. He blinked his eyes open for a second, and immediately shut them again. The light in the room was too intense. He swallowed, and found his throat to be incredibly dry and sore.

When a hand brushed softly over his body, he attempted again to open his eyes. This time they stayed open, and fell on a blonde man standing over him. The man was cleaning Scamp's fur gently, wiping away dried blood.

Blood. Angel.

Where was Angel? Scamp couldn't remember anything but passing out. He tilted his head, trying to look around the room, and felt his skin tug.

"Hey bud. Don't tear your stitches." The blonde man spoke for the first time.

"Patching you up might not work as well the next time."

Scamp whined quietly. There appeared to be other animals in the room now, but their scent lingered. Some were alive, and some weren't. He couldn't find Angel's familiar scent anywhere but the blonde man's hands. This man knew where Angel was.

Somewhere in the distance, Scamp heard the booming, cursing bark of Buster, demanding to be freed from his prison.

Good luck getting out of here like that.

But where was here? As Scamp thought this, he was lifted carefully into the blonde man's arms.

"C'mon bud. I bet your girlfriend is worried." Scamp managed to wag his little stump tail. Angel was okay. He was going to see his Angel.

Angel was lying on her belly talking to Meelus. She found out that he lived near the Darling family's residence. He had been a stray as a pup, and longed to have a family, much like herself. He had no idea why his tail was so crooked, he told her that it had been that way for as long as he could remember. His family had taken him in after their boy, John, had found him wandering the streets and begged to keep him. He'd gotten lost just the day before and the keepers at the pound had picked him up.

Angel was recalling the details of her and Scamp being attacked when she heard the kennel door swing open. She turned and her heart fluttered wildly when she saw Scamp. Forgetting Meelus for a time, she sprang to her feet to meet Blondie and Scamp halfway, as Blondie laid Scamp on the floor of the kennel and reached out to give her a pat.

"Your folks'll be here in the morning, Baby. You watch over this guy for me til' then." With that, he was gone, back to his duties in another part of the kennels.

"Scamp!" Angel barked happily. "I was so worried..."

Scamp, who'd had his eyes closed, cracked one open and smirked at her, recalling a past memory.

"You were...worried?" He croaked.

Angel smiled and nuzzled his shoulder, mumbling,

"Yeah I guess I was...worried" She pulled away slightly to look at the stitches on his neck.

"How are you feeling?"

Scamp didn't have time to answer, Meelus took over the conversation, having been watching with interest.

"He looks terrible! He's all bloody and scruffy and blood be in his fur all over the place did those stitchies leak out? Hey Angel lady! Is this you be your best friend or your mate cause he sure don't look like your best friend to Meelus and me!" Meelus then opened his mouth in a big happy grin with his tongue hanging out the side.

Angel and Scamp exchanged an embarrassed look with each other.

"Well-um. I think we'd need to discuss that last bit a little more later on. We're best friends." Angel said, choosing her words carefully.

Meelus shrugged and yawned loudly.

"Okay you be friends together for friend kinda stuff. I be a tired dead dog tired." And with that, Meelus flopped down and covered his face with a paw.

Scamp weakly lifted a paw to pull Angel closer to where he was lying. She wiggled close and hid her face in his fur again, happy to see him awake and alive.

"Who's the loonie? I like him." Scamp whispered, making Angel's ear flicker. She stifled a laugh. If he wasn't chewed to heck and back, she would have slapped him.

"Be nice." She scolded teasingly.

"Whatever you say, best friend." Scamp rasped, making Angel blush.

"You're not letting that one go, are you?"

Scamp snickered ominously. "Nope Because I love you."

He was back.