Chapter Two

=Chapter Two=
The Faun and the Lamppost

"Oh don't be silly!" She replied before dragging me right to the back of the wardrobe. But instead of feeling fluffy coats and the smell of dust, there were pricks of pine leaves and the smell of fresh trees. "Oh my goodness! You see this too, don't you?"

"Yes Lucy, I do," I said, smiling slightly. I soon ran to the lamppost that was planted by the witch by accident, I remember that day well, the day when Narnia was created, and I met my "grandfather" Digory Kirke and his friend Polly. It was also the day I was given to the King Frank and Queen Helen as a gift from Aslan to start the royal bloodline. You see, I can remember everything, from when I was born and till the day I shall die along with the land of Narnia - but that will be ages away.

Lucy touched the lamppost. "Are you okay Alice?"

I felt something wet on my face that I realised it was tears, I quickly wiped them away. "Yes I'm fine, just got reminded of some... memories."

Lucy nodded, leaving the subject behind. But soon let out a screech as she saw something, or rather someone. Lucy hid behind me, grabbing my hand tightly and peaking behind my arm slightly.

"Tumnus," I said, smiling at the faun who hid behind the tree. "You can come out."

"Oh it's you Alice!" Tumnus said, coming over to me. His eyes went wide as he saw Lucy behind me. "Is that your child?"

"W-What?!" I spluttered out whilst laughing. "No, this is Lucy Pevensie, a daughter of Eve."

"What? She shouldn't be here," Tumnus whispered, so only I could hear. "But oh well, one time can't hurt."

"You can come out Lucy," I said kindly, she stepped from behind me and Tumnus crouched down.

"Hello Lucy Pevensie," Tumnus said.

"Wow! This is a big wardrobe! Who knew that a secret world was hiding in that spare room!" Lucy exclaimed, all her shyness gone.

"War drobe? Spare Oom? Forgive me, but you are in Narnia!" Tumnus said, looking confused.

"Narnia? What's that?" Lucy asked.

"Lucy," I said. "You are in it, from this lamppost, to the castle of Cair Paravel on the glistening Eastern Sea."

"Every stick and stone, every icicle is Narnia," Tumnus finished.

Lucy looked amazed. "Woah..."

"Anyway, Lucy Pevensie and Alice Timothy from the shining city of War Drobe in the far land of Spare Oom, how would you like to stay for tea?" Tumnus asked, bowing slightly.

"I'm not sure Tumnus, we should head back," I said, but then I glanced down at Lucy to see her giving me the puppy eyes. I sighed in defeat. "Fine! Just for half an hour though."

Tumnus smiled before looping his arm though mine, just like we did when we were kids.

"There's a lovely roaring fire, and we'll have tea and cakes and sardines!" Tumnus spoke happily.

We trudged though the thick snow and to his house that was in the side of cliff. He opened the door, letting Lucy in first, then me, he glanced outside before heading in himself. Tumnus cleaned on his hooves on the mat and put down his parcels.

I headed down and sat on one of the three arm chairs, Tumnus poured some tea in a mug and gave it to me. He then looked at Lucy, who was looking at a picture. It was a man I recognised.

"That's my father," Tumnus said.

"He has a nice face," Lucy replied. "He looks like you."

"We're not alike at all to be honest..." Tumnus spoke sadly.

"My father went off to fight a war," Lucy mumbled, I gave her a sad look.

"My father went off to war too... ever since this horrible winter dawned upon us," Tumnus said angrily.

"Oh winter isn't all that bad!" Said Lucy. "You can have snowball fights, and go ice skating! And don't forget about Christmas!"

"We haven't had Christmas for a hundred years," Tumnus spoke, sadly glancing at me. "But, oh, you would have loved Narnia in spring! The Dryads and Fauns would dance all night... but we never got tired. And oh, the music! Such music. Would you... like to hear some now?"

Lucy nodded eagerly.

"Are you familiar with any Narnian lullabies?" Tumnus asked Lucy.

"No," Lucy shook her head.

"Good, because this probably won't sound anything like one," Tumnus said, getting out a flute. He played a melody, a melody that made you feel happy, but sad. That made you feel awake, but tired.

I saw that patterns of animals and fauns were dancing in the fire place, before a lion came out and roared. Every light in the house turned off and Lucy's cup smashed as she fell asleep.

"What are you doing Tumnus?" I asked him.

"I'm sorry, I'm sorry," he sobbed into his hands. "I'm forced to do this by that wretched witch."

"Hey, don't cry," I sighed before getting out a hankie and giving it to him. "Here."

"But -"

"You need it more then I do," I smiled slightly. "I don't mean to be rude or anything but I'll be taking Lucy home now."

"Yes, go, make sure she doesn't come back!" Tumnus cried.

I picked up Lucy and rushed outside, stumbling through the snow. I was relieved when I saw the lamppost. I ran through the trees and ran through the fluffy coats and out the door.

"97, 98, 99, 100!" I heard Peter's voice.

I felt movement in my arms, Lucy had woken up. I quickly put her down. She shot out the door, practically buzzing with excitement.

"It's alright! I'm back!"