Chapter 5

Vatican, Italy – 12 June of 1493

“Smile,” Giulia said gently. “You look beautiful.”

Lucrezia nodded, trembling and attempting to smile. She was alone with Giulia Farnese on her bedchambers, dressed in a new golden gown embroidered with tiny pearls and diamonds on the corset and golden silk on the sleeves. Her long hair had been combed and it fell down her back beautifully.

“I am scared,” she admitted to her friend. “Not sure of what.”

Giulia smiled, understanding. “I know, my dearest. I’ve been in your place, and I know it is overwhelming, especially when you are a little more than a girl.”

“What happens?” she asked, in the inexperience of her thirteen years of age. “Does it hurt?”

“Not very much,” her friend said. “It is not worse than falling down from a horse, truly.”

“I have heard the maids saying it is an unbearable pain.” Lucrezia looked down to her pale hands. “And that it takes long, and I must not complain.”

“Nonsense.” Giulia shook her head. “Do not listen to maids, Lucrezia. It is not so bad, and quite frankly, it might not even happen so often.”

Lucrezia looked up. “This is not the only reason why I am afraid.” Her voice was low, as if she feared someone could be listening to them. “I... For some reason, I believe he loathes me.”

At that, Giulia sighed; she too had been married when she was a little more than a child, and she knew her husband was not at all fond of her from the beginning. As he laid eyes on her, a beauty of only fifteen, unlike every men she had ever met, he turned to dislike her; he was not a handsome man like the Borgia boys, rather a short, squinted-eyed and awkward young man, and he was aware of his own appearance. Being married to such beautiful girl could only be a burden to him. And he was not wrong after all; Giulia had been claimed as the Pope’s mistress only a couple of years after their marriage, and while he was rewarded with the mayorship of Carbognano for his cooperation and understanding, it still hurt his pride, especially because the transaction was performed and assisted by his own mother. They were estranged now, and Giulia only hoped she would never have to go back to him, for even she was ashamed.

“Lucrezia,” she finally said. “It is not a kind world for women, I know. But, I promise you, life will be kind to you. Your father would never allow you to marry a man who would lead you to your misfortune and disgrace. Rest assured of that.”

Giulia touched the girl’s white face tenderly, feeling the smooth skin as cold as marble.

“I will give you some time alone,” she said. “For you to get prepared. I know there are many things in your head now, the same happened to me on my wedding day. But I promise you, everything will be alright.”

Placing a warm kiss on Lucrezia’s cheek, Giulia smiled and left the room.

“She is right,” a male voice echoed from behind. Lucrezia jumped and turned, surprised; her brother had been hiding behind the cupboard all along.

“Cesare!” she said relieved. “You came to see me!”

“Of course.” He grinned. “What did you expect?”

Lucrezia stood up and ran to her brother’s arms, burying her face on his Archbishop’s robes. “Cesare, I am scared.”

“I know.” He stroked her hair. “I’ve heard.”

They both stayed in silence for a few minutes, embracing each other; Lucrezia felt the warm tears running down her cheeks.

“Giulia is right,” Cesare repeated. “Everything will be alright. I am not pleased with this match, as you know, but at least I know everything will be alright.”