Chapter 14

“Do you like Autumn days better than Summer days?” Lucrezia asked Perotto distractedly; they were both walking together on the gardens, the ladies-in-waiting walking far behind them.

“I used to like Summer days better,” he replied. “Now, I prefer Autumn days.”

“Really? Why this change of heart?”

“Because it is on an Autumn day that I am walking together with you.”

She smiled, tightening the grip on his arm.

“You always find a way to make me smile. It is a mystery why you are not a troubadour.”

“The only consistent thing about a troubadour is their love; their love never changes. Yet the lady to whom they direct their love changes more often than not. This is why I differ from a troubadour. The lady I love is the same; my love is not, for it grows stronger day by day.”

“Oh, Perotto...”

He touched her hand as to remind her there were ladies accompanying them. But Lucrezia had enough of it.

“Leave us,” she told the women, who exchanged looks; it was not common to leave a young lady on the company of a groomsman. “I said, leave us.”

After they rushed to obey and Lucrezia found herself alone with Perotto on the beautiful gardens of the Vatican, they both sat down by a bench, their heads together as if reading together or conspiring, yet enough for anyone passing by to see they were not embracing each other as lovers.

“You must come see me tonight,” she said. “I cannot bear to be without you.”

“Then tonight I shall meet you,” he promised. “I cannot bear to be without you either, Lucrezia. I go mad when I spend too long without you in my arms.”

“We have little time now, but I promise the night will be ours. Just come by eleven, I shall be waiting.”

“And I cannot wait.”

A woman walked through from a distance, apparently not noticing the young couple, but it was enough for Lucrezia to stand up calmly, as if she had been merely discussing trivialities with her groomsman. He offered her his arm politely, looking down as he would usually do with the Borgias, but with a wink to his beloved, and they entered the palace again, anticipating the encounter later at night.

As they both entered, Lucrezia was greeted by Giulia Farnese, who had apparently been waiting for her.

“I just had someone to go look for you,” Giulia said, looking at the couple with a soft smile. “Thank you, Perotto, for taking care of Lady Lucrezia.”

“It is my pleasure, signora,” he replied with a bow.

“You may go now. You can meet Lucrezia later.”

With a last smile to the women, Perotto walked away.

“Lucrezia, come with me.” Giulia turned to the girl again, this time her tone was serious. “We must speak alone.”

Imagining her friend would warn her about walking with her lover in public, Lucrezia tried to avoid the conversation. “Giulia, it is fine, we did not do anything, we just talked –”

“It is not about that,” her friend interrupted. “Just come with me.”

Alarmed, Lucrezia followed Giulia Farnese to the Borgia Apartments, the only place they knew they would have total privacy to talk without having to worry about spies. Giulia conducted Lucrezia to her own rooms, and made her sit down.