Chapter 9

Lucrezia remained in bed, claiming to be well for the rest of the day. The thought of the whole court knowing of the infamous rumour her own husband had started about her and Cesare made her ill, and she did not think she could face anyone.

The following morning, she finally put a coat around her shoulders and left her bed to go to the main room of the Borgia’s apartments, hoping to find Cesare somewhere. With her bare foot barely making a sound on the cold ground, she reached the room looking down distractedly.

Signora Lucrezia!” A male voice said with shock, followed by the loud noise of something hitting the ground.

Lucrezia saw a young man dressed as a papal servant. He seemed to be about Cesare’s age, and looked terrified. A tray with food laid on the floor.

“I am sorry,” she said. “I did not know you were here.”

“I am sorry, signora. Your father commanded me to bring you breakfast, and I was about to leave it when I saw you, I –”

“Do not worry.” She raised a hand. “I am very sorry. I should not have come so silently.”

“No, no, no.” He shook his head. “I should have paid attention. It is my fault.”

Lucrezia smiled. “We can go on like this for a long time.”

The man’s cheeks slightly blushed and he looked down, ashamed. When he finally realised that the breakfast was all over the floor, he immediately went down to pick it up.

“I am sorry, signora, I will bring you another tray in a few minutes,” he murmured, quickly picking up the poured pastries.

She kneeled down and started picking up the bread and cheese. “Stop apologising.”

“Please, signora, I can do it–”

“Two work faster than one.”

“But you are–”

“More than able to pick up things from the floor,” she completed his sentence kindly. “Now, shall we?”

After they picked up all they could, the man assured he would send a servant to clean the floor soon, and that he would bring her breakfast in no time.

“It is not necessary. I believe I will come down to eat with the court.”

Signora, are you feeling well enough? The Holy Father reported you were ill.”

“It was a sudden malaise that is already gone. I am fine.” Lucrezia stopped for a minute, looking at him. “What is your name, young man?”

“Pedro Calderon, signora,” he murmured, looking down.

“It is a pleasure to meet you,” she said amiably. “You are my father’s chamberlain?”

“Yes, madam.”

“Well, I am glad you are providing us service. I shall tell the Holy Father you were most pleasant, and that you insisted to pick up the tray I accidentally dropped. I can’t believe I was so distracted! It must be a sin to waste so much food.”

Pedro looked surprised at the young woman, as if she had just spoken in Greek. His jaw dropped, but Lucrezia only smiled.

Signora, you don’t have to,” he muttered. “Please, I beg you, this was my fault, and I would never be in peace if you took the blame.”

“Oh, do not speak nonsense!” She waved her little hand. “Did I not just say I accidentally dropped the tray? You should listen more carefully, Pedro Calderon. This is my story and I am not changing it.”