Chapter 10

Rome, Italy – January of 1494

The new year came with a cold, delightful breeze in the city of Christendom. There was no realm in Europe that could compare to the Roman Empire and the Papal States. Italy was going through one of the most exquisite eras ever seen, and it was common to see foreigners dropping their jaws as they entered the gates of Rome; art breathed through the streets. It had started when the famous writer Dante Alighieri published his ‘Heaven and Hell’. From that moment onward, something beautifully abstract started taking shape. The artists had very wealthy patrons to sustain their work, and The Medici family, one the wealthiest and most eccentric Houses of Europe, had founded the development of art, giving generous sums of money to the most promising artists and Art Academies in Italy. In exchange, their palaces were specially designed and decorated by the best painters and sculptors; Leonardo Da Vinci, Sandro Botticelli and Michelangelo had many of their works ordered by the Medicis.

As a result, the nobility, eager to become patrons of such names who also were decorating all the most important places in the Vatican, such as the Sistine Chapel, the Saint Peter Basilica and all the Chapels in Rome, started to look for alternative ways to obtain money. The most successful idea was the trade with Asia and Europe; they would offer their products in exchange of the exotic specialties of India, and sell them for a small fortune. That was when Italy became the wealthiest country in Europe. Two hundred years after Dante shocked and mesmerised everyone with his book, Rome was entirely taken over by the Rinascimento, the rebirth of the era. Not only with paintings and sculptures, but with technologies that the very talented Da Vinci created. Every other kingdom envied the magnificent era Italy was going through, and tried to bring a little of that glamour to their own country, but none could compare to the Roman Empire.

However, the dark times were coming to test Italy’s strength.

“God is sending us a hard test,” the Pope had announced. “We need to pray more than ever, to save our souls and our country. This is His sign that we must prove our faith.”

“What is happening?” Lucrezia whispered to Cesare.

“Some farmers and peasants have died,” he replied in a low voice. “They are saying they had the tip of their fingers black as death and huge bulbs all over their bodies.”

Lucrezia gasped.

“The Black Death?”

“Yes.”

The Black Death was a horrible mark on the history of Europe. Death had spread itself all over Europe with its black hand and taken most of its population within a few years, a true punishment from God Himself to purge Earth and frighten the sinners. That happened a century before, yet no one had forgotten the massive lost. It was a deceiving illness, that did not choose its victim; farmer, banker, schoolboy, nobleman, peasant, King, everyone could be the next.

“What are we going to do?” she whispered to her brother. “Leave Rome?”

“No, sister. We will stay and pray.” He kissed her hand. “Do not be concerned. The plague has not reached the court. We shall be safe.”

The papal court was gathered at the Sistine Chapel, watching as Pope Alexander VI addressed to the important issue. Lucrezia looked around and for her relief, she saw Giulia Farnese sitting a few places behind her, having recently arrived from a visit to her mother – which in truth was an excuse to remove her from the Vatican during the Christimas holidays and avoid gossips. She also saw the ambassadors from France and England with their heads together, talking to each other with alarmed expressions. Giovanni was nowhere to be found, but Lucrezia knew her eldest brother was away doing whatever secret task their father had ordered. On the servants line, by the side of the altar, Lucrezia saw the handsome and young face of Perotto, looking down in obedience.