Chapter 17

Papal States, Italy - 1496

“Lucrezia!”

The sweet sound of the male voice reached the girl’s ears, and she turned her marvellous fair head around to see his beloved face.

“Oh, Cesare!”

The young man ran to Lucrezia, finally taking her into his arms and kissing her face repeatedly, her cheeks, her forehead, her nose, her eyelids and her lips, smelling the flowery scent of the perfume in her hair, lifting her off the ground. “I’ve missed you so, my beloved sister...”

“And I’ve missed you, Cesare,” she whispered. Her eyes were filled with happy tears. “It’s so good to have you back. Don’t ever leave my side again, Cesare, do you hear me? Do not dare to leave my side again.”

Cesare tightened the grip of his embrace, not daring to say a word.

“Let me look at you!” she said, finally letting go of his arms. “Let me look at you, brother... Oh, sweet Jesus, you look so thin! Have you not been well fed?”

“I am alright,” he replied with a tired smile. In truth, Cesare looked older and thinner; perhaps the time he had spent escaping had limited his provisions and his sleep, but there was something else about him that went against the exhausted features. His eyes, once bright and attentive to every move, expecting conspiracies, seeking allies and identifying enemies, became hardened. He had no longer the need to look for anything; he knew everything.

“I want to know about everything,” Lucrezia demanded. “Come with me at once.”

“I cannot come with you now, sorella,” he said, sighing. “I am so sorry. I must go.”

“Cesare,” she pleaded, holding his hand. “Please.”

“I will be with you later tonight,” he promised. “I need to go see our Father. I’m sorry, sorella. I will see you later, I promise you.”

Lucrezia had no choice but to let him go. She watched his slim figure walking away to the Pope’s rooms, feeling a strange emptiness in her stomach.

The previous year had been the most distressing. Lucrezia found out the power of her own voice, and saw the impact of her manipulation in Europe. The Pope had committed to defeat the French, and created an alliance with the Holy Roman Emperor, the King of Sicily, Ludovico Il Moro, Ferdinand of Spainand the Republic of Venice. The Holy League, as they called themselves, was the first of its kind; never before had so many divergent states united to defeat a common enemy. That was how much Charles of France was loathed. In July, they had their first battle in Fornovo, after the King of France was trapped trying to escape the united Italy. Even though both sides claimed victory to that battle, Charles retreated, recognising the damages to his troops. The regrouping was eminent, but finally Italy knew its own power when they were united. Lucrezia smiled to herself, knowing how it all began. She had the ear of the most powerful man in Christendom. She could move troops, if she knew the right words.

The repercussion of the victory over the French was noticeable in the Papal States. Pope Alexander built his power base, stronger than ever. Even though the Orsini family continued to stand against the Pope, fighting against his troops and demanding Pope Alexander’s deposition, it was but a minor issue for him; an issue that disappeared once Virginio Orsini died as a prisoner of the Spanish King, in Naples. The Pope confiscated his properties, protecting himself from the Orsini clan.

And Lucrezia, aware of her own political power, had been closely watching every move. She had increased her web of spies, having a paid servant at her service in every noble house of Italy, and even in Naples and Spain.