Chapter Nineteen

The car ride home was quiet.

Dianne held tightly onto Joe's hand as she looked out of the window and let her tears fall.

Joe felt lost; there was nothing he could say to make her pain any less. He knew, because he felt the same. It would never be as powerful as breaking the bond between a mother and her child, but the pain he felt was very real and very raw.

Neither of them spoke until they arrived back at the apartment.

"I'll make us a tea" Joe said quietly, watching as Dianne went and sat down on one of the stools at the breakfast bar.

Her phone rang.

"Hello?" She wiped her eyes as she spoke.

"Are you okay?" Dianne's mum's voice came through the speaker.

"I'm... it never gets any easier, does it?" Dianne said. "But I know I'll be OK. She's in safe hands, and I'll see her soon."

"You will. And I'll make sure she calls you the minute she gets home, no matter what time."

"Thank you."

"Dot?"

"Yes, mum?"

"I did have a message from Andrew just before they boarded the plane. He said that, as soon as you got home, I was to call you and tell you to go and sit on the couch."

Dianne felt confused. "Why?"

"Because that lovely boyfriend of yours has been working on something special. Call me back later, okay?"

Dianne hung up the call after saying goodbye and sat where she had been told. While she had been on the phone, Joe had clearly been connecting his laptop up to the big screen.

"OK." He took a breath. "I... I love you so much and seeing you this week with Emelia has confirmed for me that you're an amazing person and an amazing mum. I just wanted to put something together to show you how special you are. And to show you that, wherever in the world you are, you and your baby girl are never too far apart."

Dianne reached out to hold Joe's hand as the screen came to life. As the music began to play, she took a shaky breath.

Joe had compiled little clips and photographs of every single day Emelia had been with them. The pancakes, the dancing, the fashion shows, their date night, their trip to Wiltshire; it was all in there.

"You know", she leaned in to Joe, tears unashamedly streaming down her face, "I used to think I was a really bad mother. I used to blame myself for every little thing that went wrong, because I wasn't there. But- look at her. She... she's happy. She had a good time, right?"

Joe leaned into Dianne and kissed her head softly. "She had the best time."

"Has she seen this?" Dianne asked. Joe smiled.

"I loaded it up onto her iPad before she left. Andrew knew all about it, and he's going to tell her on the plane. I also put it on your phone, so you can see it when you're on tour and stuff. I just thought that, when things are tough, you can look at this and smile."

Dianne kissed Joe softly on the lips. "I will. Thank you".

///

Dianne fell asleep on the couch, the video playing on repeat. After covering her with a blanket, Joe made his way to his office and opened up his laptop.

Without a second thought, he searched flights for a few days before Dianne's 30th birthday. Two returns from London to Perth for the two of them to go out and visit.

And one single ticket from Perth to London. A single ticket for Emelia to come back with them.

He couldn't bring himself to buy her a return flight. If things changed, then he could add one, but- in his mind- the best birthday present he could give the woman he loved was to bring her baby home with them. Bring her home forever. There was a lot to do before that point, but Joe was certain they could make it work.

Closing his laptop, Joe leaned back in his seat. The last week had been an absolute whirlwind, and he knew it had changed his life forever. He was part of a family now. He had a girlfriend and a little girl to look out for, and he wanted to do everything in his power to keep them safe and happy.

Looking around the office, Joe fiddled with the trinkets he kept on his desk. Putting down one of the plastic figurines he had for some reason kept on display, his eyes were drawn towards an envelope on the floor. It must have been slipped under the door and he hadn't noticed.

Picking it up, he smiled at the familiar handwriting.

"To Joe..."