Chapter 9: Mom?

Thora's POV

Darkness surrounds me like a cool blanket, carrying me through the black abyss and making me feel as though I'm floating. The last thing I remember was getting hit by that strange Nadder, then...nothing.

A bright light appears ahead of me. I shield my eyes until the light dies down, seeing a silhouette walking from the depth of the light. When I finally focus, it's my mother who stands in front of me. A kind smile rests on her face. She looks young, far younger than I imagined.

"Hello Thora," she says.

"M-m-mom?" I gasp, wide-eyed. "Oh no. I'm not dead, am I?"

My mom laughs. "No, dear. You're simply dreaming." Her expression changes to something more solemn and she sighs. "However, what I'm about to tell you is true. It's something I should've explained long ago, before I died." She turns to me. "Those stories I told you, not all of it was fiction."

"Mom, what is it?" I ask, my hands clenching into tight fists.

"Your father, Thord, and I were part of an elite group of Vikings that held special powers; the Demon Dragon Slayers," she starts.

"Demon dragons?"

"Yes. They're the very creatures that burnt our village to the ground and the very dragon that attacked you today," my mom continues. "Normal weapons and normal dragons cannot kill them, which is why this group was formed. Your father and I were among the first recruits. We had enchanted weapons, the only weapons capable of killing the beasts, and only we could wield them." She stops, taking a long breath. "Hermaōr was the only place with people like us, people who possessed magic said to be as old as the gods themselves. I didn't lie to you when I told you those stories."

"But...I saw you burn! I saw everyone burn to the ground and none of you could...could..." I stop as I rest my hand in front of my mouth, my chest tightening.

The sadness in her eyes is stirring. "It is not how you think. One of our group members was a young man by the name of Alrek, son of Asmund. He became bitter towards the group, claiming that we could become rulers if we just harnessed the demon dragons' power. We refused, knowing that they were too evil to do good and that we did not wish to become rulers."

My stomach knots. "He...he didn't..."

"Alrek's mind was clouded and his heart became cold. He vowed revenge on all slayers, swearing he would end the line of them, and he left. We never saw him again, until the night our village was attacked." My mom takes another deep breath. "We thought he had been vanquished, along with the demons. We hid our weapons and promised to never use them unless in great need. That happened only a year or so before you were born, but..." She closes her eyes, an invisible breeze seeming to rustle her hair. "Alrek killed each of the DDS group members, including your father and I. He didn't know that you had escaped in time, nor that you carry the power of the slayers within you."

"Carry?" I echo, noting her use of present tense. "Mom, I'm no one. I'm just a reclusive vagabond and everyone knows that!"

"Thora..." she whispers, almost calming with just a word. "You're the last of the slayers, and the power is within you...with a little help, that is." She steps closer and reaches out, her slender fingers brushing against the blue gem of my necklace. All at once, I know exactly why I never saw my mom fight with a weapon. "You got to my necklace first, just as I hoped you would. Alrek searched in vain for it, as well as your father's sword, but he never succeeded." She smiles as her gaze flickers back to the ice blue pendant. "This necklace holds the ancient magic that our village specialized in. It's a magic that allows you to kill the demon dragons."

I rest a hand on my forehead as she lowers her hand, my mind reeling. "I...I..."

"Alrek found and destroyed most of the weapons we had put in hiding, but I managed to save the last bit of it before it was too late. The magic is yours now and you must use it to protect the ones you love. Your home and your dragons are in danger."

"What do I do?"

"You already know. You'll know how when the time is right."

I groan at the vague question. Why must parents or ghostly apparitions always be vague? It's annoying.

My mother opens her arms to me and I don't hesitate to embrace her, burying my head against her chest as though I'm a child again; safe and sound in my mother's arms.

"I missed you," I whisper.

"I missed you too," she murmurs. She steps back, resting her hands on my shoulders. "You've made me so proud. I know that things are difficult for you right now, but..." She applies gentle pressure, her lips quirking. "I'm glad you have Hiccup."

"He's a wonderful man," I agree, my voice soft.

My mom looks over my shoulder and her smile falters. "I must go. You are waking."

"I love you, mom," I call, a feeling of desperation overwhelming me.

"I love you too, Thora."