Chapter 17: My Warning To You

"Who's there? Show yourself!" I order, unsheathing my sword.

"Thora..."

The voice echoes through the darkness, making the hairs on the back of my neck prickle. Nightstar growls low in her throat and I feel her move closer to me.

"I've waited for the daughter of Thord and Sigrid to come. Please, come closer."

I stand my ground. "Alrek?"

"No. You're lucky I'm not that evil Viking."

"Are you friend or foe?"

"Friend."

A single light pierces the shadow and a small man, only a head taller than Gothi, can be sitting by the flame. He smiles, standing up and hobbling over to me. A small wisp of white hair sits atop his head and a scruffy beard softens his face.

"So, you are the last of the DDS. I have waited many years to see you," he says, his voice surprisingly smooth for his age.

"How do you know me? I don't remember you..." I say, lowering my sword only slightly.

"You wouldn't. You were just a baby." He sighs. "I'm glad you found this place. That necklace of Sigrid's has proven to be quite useful."

My hesitance melts a tiny bit. "What's going on?"

"My time here is fleeting and I must tell you something. Valhalla only gave me a short amount of time to get this message to you," he murmurs, his wrinkled hands folding together. I wait, my heart pounding as he takes a deep breath, his tiny frame shaking. His eyes fall shut and Nightstar whimpers. "You must be the one to defeat Alrek, son of Asmund. Although your friends now have the power to defeat the dragons, they are not strong enough to defeat him. You are the last of the line of slayers and it can only be you."

"I know that," I mutter through my teeth. "My mom told me in a vision. I'm the last one. I'm somehow super special. This isn't news."

"A hero, a chief, companions, dragons. Rise up against the evil one, save the home of many." The man opens his eyes, showing two pits of pure soulless white. "The army of demons approaches. Beware Thora, daughter of Thord, for love will be your ultimate downfall."

Wind rushes into the cave, whipping my hair around my face and causing Nightstar to surround me protectively with her tail. My necklace becomes so hot that I can hardly stand it, but my eyes are only on the strange little man with the blinded eyes.

"What? When's the army coming? Who are you?" I yell over the wind. "How did you know my parents?!"

The old man only smiles as the wind blows his body into dust.