Chapter 18: Liar

Why was I doing this again? I had to keep reminding myself as I stood outside with my purse waiting for Mr. Johnson to pick me up at our designated spot. I was reluctant to go to his house, I didn't know exactly what he wanted to say to me. Of course when you overthink you go through every possible scenario, and all my scenarios were negative. Maybe ending things was for the best, I need to focus on school and of course college. By March I'll be knowing where I'm heading to, either in state or out. I'll be too busy getting ready to leave to college that I won't have any time for anything else, so it would be the best.

His car turns the corner and immediately my heart starts racing.

Oh god, oh god, oh god, oh god.

That's all I could think about. It was too late now, and it wasn't until this very moment that I felt like fleeing. His car stops right in front of me and I let out my breath that I didn't even notice I was holding in. I had to relax and act cool, I pull the handle and get inside the passenger seat.

"I hope you weren't standing out there for too long. How are you?" He asks me.

I look over at him and had to keep my composure, he looked so hot in regular clothes. The smell of his cologne infiltrated my nose, but I had to keep my composure.

"I'm fine." Is all I could say right now.

"Okay.. I'm happy you decided to come after all." He smiled.

He's lucky I didn't make a run for it on the last minute.

"What is it that we need to talk about?" I retort, getting straight to the point. This was the only bit of information I wanted to know.

"About us..." He trails, "And this love affair."

This could mean anything, his ambiguous answers don't help with my eagerness.

"Riiiiight." I sarcastically say as I look out the window. I didn't want to look at him, and of course music was playing on the radio. I didn't feel like talking, there was nothing to talk about, but I could see him glancing over at me every now and then from the corner of my eye. It wasn't until he was at a red light that he said something.

"You look beautiful by the way... " he says to me. I didn't want to be a bitch either now.

"Thanks." I say to him as I glance over and see his half smile.

Green light.

We finally arrive at his house and I get out the car. I still felt foreign to this surrounding, it's not like I come here every weekend, I still feel like a stranger. I walk up the walkway as I hear his footsteps follow from behind, and we both stop at his front door. He opens the door and we make it inside, the entire place was exactly how I left it from the previous time I was here.

"So... Can you finally tell me what you want to say to me?" I ask him as I take a seat on the couch, he just nods and disappears into the kitchen. I know I'm being impatient but it's killing me waiting for this "talk".

"Want a beer?" I hear his voice from the kitchen.

"Sure." I need something to take the edge off anyway.

He comes back with two open beer bottles and hands me one before taking a seat next to me. I take a drink of my beer and so does he.

"The reason why I wanted you to come over was to discuss our love affair we have going on."

I did not bother saying anything, I just wanted to hear what he had to say as I kept chugging my beer.

"Kate, I know you're young and I'm old. We are at two very distinct and different point of our lives. This thing we have going on, isn't normal, not to mention illegal. It would be safer if we just had relations with people our age group."