Chapter Twenty-Five

The world around her looked strange now, literally and figuratively.

Átta was terrified of these extra eyes, especially the one on her right hand. Her arms and legs were dangerously close to being completely liquified and her hair was now deep black, any remnants of purple were gone. She was pretty sure her eye mask was melting too, that or she was crying and didn't even know it.

She heard some doctors talking; she was finally getting the antibiotics tomorrow morning. Yet, Átta didn't think she could wait that long.

"Nnn..."

Átta felt a pain in her stomach that spread to her arms and legs. She looked at her hands as the black ink started to bubble and the eye on her palm went wide. Now she really was crying.

   Átta could've sworn she heard a voice in her head telling her to do things; go somewhere; submit to the Inkblot. She stared into the eye on her hand, her vision becoming something unintelligible.

   "Shut up..." Her words came out a whisper.

   "JoIn Us DeAr..."

   "Leave me alone...!"

   "SuBmIt To ThE iNkBlOt..."

   Átta started biting her arm, the awful taste of the black ink gushing in her mouth. The heart monitor started beeping rapidly, giving Átta the worst headache; her teeth sank into her melting skin.

   'I just... want everything... to stop!'

   SNAP!

   Her arm came clean off.

————

The death of his sister affected him greatly. Cleat destroyed half of Neli's beloved bakery out of rage and despair, then fell on his knees in the middle of it to quietly sob. He shut the bakery down after that and abandoned it, unable to even look at the place.

   The disease that was responsible for Neli's death was already spreading throughout the city, and soon all of Inkopolis would be Quarantined until the disease was cleaned from the streets; blockades would be put on the roads and highways to keep people from getting in or getting out. Cleat decided to get the hell out of the city before that happened.

   Before he left, Cleat stopped by Neli's apartment to see if there were any old belongings of hers he wanted to hold onto; Neli loved scrapbooking, Cleat wanted to keep a few of the old books she made when they were kids. While getting some of the books, Cleat was tempted to go in Átta's room, he wasn't very good at concealing his crush for her, but decided against it.

"She'd kill me if she found out..." He said to himself.

   He grabbed another stack of books from the closet when a small wooden box fell out beside him; the contents fell all over the floor.

   "What the...?"

  Cleat picked up one of the papers to see it was a photo of Neli and her ex-husband.

   "Oh shit..."

   Cleat remembered the car accident that him and Neli got into. It costed him his life and another's...

  The other papers on the floor were ultrasounds. Cleat picked them up and stared at them, remembering the excitement of knowing he'd be an uncle; remembering the pain he felt after that accident...

   "Can't imagine how scary that was... you didn't even get to live..."

  He rubbed a few tears from his eyes as he stared to smile.

   "But your mommy is with you again... you and your daddy must be so happy..."

Cleat slipped the pictures in one of the scrapbooks and stood, holding that particular book close to his chest. His family seemed to keep getting smaller and smaller throughout the years from many
inconveniences.

Strangely, he was ok.

————

   Apologies for the very short chapter, a friend of mine recently joined Wattpad and I've been busy helping him get his first book started.

   Stay tuned~ ❤️