Story #8 - Finding the Truth

A/N: Hi everyone! First off, I'm so sorry for disappearing for two months, I've just been so busy and also needed a break with stuff. But anyway, I'll try to write more! It might not be that often because I finished my creative writing class, but hopefully I'll still be able to. Here's a sci-fi story I wrote, I hope you all like it!

The crisp scent of chemicals was in the air as I slowly moved around the papers full of calculations. I heard machines running and bubbles fizzing. Currently, my heartbeat was up and the feeling of suspension was in my mind as I continued searching through the calculations.

"Angel! Come here, look at this," On the other side of the complicated room full of machines, my brother Levi excitedly hollered at me to come over. "I think we're getting close to something."
"What? What are you working on right now, is that the genetics part?" I questioned him. as I stared at the infinite pages of symbols. Looking at them, I attempted to decipher what they meant. The papers were confusing, but I could feel that all of it was very important.

"No, since you are working on that I started working on our side project and I think we're about to find something."

"Really!? That's good! We need to try it as soon as we get the calculations right!" Replying to him, I smiled and shuffled through more of the papers with a grin on my face.

"Yes! I plan to try it as soon as possible!" Satisfied by his response, I nodded.

"Alright!" I smirked and turned around to look at the multiple machines and tools scattered around the room.

Turning around, I walked towards my side of the overwhelming lab. I glanced around the area and took a second to think. Taking a look at all the machines, the question of what to do next lingered. A light buzzing started from the other side of the room which completely distracted me from my speculations. Acting on impulse, I turned around and looked at my brother with a curious face.

"What's that?" I asked Levi as I observed all the machines in the lab.

He didn't respond, his face looked completely distracted. I began to slowly step across the lab as I approached him. Sitting in his hand, there a small metal stick with a glowing substance floating atop it. The stick was shiny, but not as shiny as whatever strange substance was atop of it. My brother was glaring straight into it with eyes wide open. I also stared at it with curiosity and began to move closer. The liquid-like substance was floating in a circle that looked like a barrier. It had a golden glow to it, a pure gold that felt as if it would burn my eyes. Whatever that substance was, it was one of the most mesmerizing things I've seen.

"Uh, Levi, what's that?" I asked as I continued staring at the substance.

"A-Angel... I-I think it worked." Levi replied to me as he kept staring at the substance.

"The portal?"
"Yes."

Feeling my eyes widen even more as my heart rate went up, I crept closer to the gold ball resting upon the metal stick. It was truly amazing, yet it gave me shivers.

"Angel, look at this," Levi grabbed my arm and pulled me towards the front of the golden sphere. "We were right."

At the front of the ball was something that looked like a computer screen. Or possibly a movie screen. It displayed a long, white, hallway with little desks on the sides. On the desk, there was a computer, in front of the computer, there was a creature. A very strange creature. All of the creatures looked identical, they were a yellow color with smooth skin. Their bodies were just ovals, and they had long arms with 10 fingers on each hand. They had no legs, they were just floating, but they had one small piercing eye that was completely filled in as black. On the computers, flashing on the screens, were humans. This was truly the strangest thing I have ever seen throughout all my years. All my thoughts flew out and all I could focus on was the golden ball and the screen in the center of it.