SIXTEEN

Jace doesn't know why, but he wakes up.  Eloy is cuddled against his side, head resting on his chest as he snores lightly.  He looks peaceful, handsome, and Jace will never get tired of waking up with him in his arms.

He snaps to attention, however, when something clatters in the direction of the kitchen.  The noise is loud enough to rouse Eloy from sleep as he looks around disoriented.

"Jace?" He mumbles sleepily.

"I'll go check," Jace says, slipping from Eloy's warmth.

Eloy frowns, shaking his head, "I'll go with you."

A firm no is at the tip of his tongue, but he could never say no to Eloy.  He agrees, though not at all happy.

"Here, put this on," Jace orders as he puts his jeans on commando style.

Eloy puts the clothing on without question and Jace appreciates the view.  His baby boy looking adorably sleepy with his tee shirt on and falling mid-thigh.  If they were in any other situation, he would've ripped it right off.  As it is, he offers Eloy his hand and helps him up.

Eloy grimaces at the feel of dried cum on his thighs, but he follows Jace close behind without complaint.

Jace has his gun out, fully aware that he's running low on ammo and can't be wasting more bullets than he has to.

They're both on high alert as they enter the kitchen, the fridge door swung open and hiding the intruder.

Jace is about to fire when Eloy stops him.  He looks at the younger man confused, heart stopping when Eloy takes another step towards the intruder.

"Hello?" Eloy calls.

A little head pokes out and they breathe in relief.

"Sowwy, uncle Eli, uncle Jace," James mutters.

Jace drops the gun to his side before clicking the safety on.

"Are you okay?" Eloy asks concerned, opening his arms for the little boy.

"I'm okay," James nods, but it's then that his tummy decides to growl.

"You hungry kiddo?"

The boy nods, "I wanted cereal."

Jace stops and shares a despairing look with Eloy.

"There's some in the cupboard," Eloy motions, a twinkle soon appearing in James' eyes.

"But there's no milk," Jace explains gently.

The little excited twinkle dies, "oh."

"You can eat it dry or with water," Jace offers, grimacing at the idea.

"Can I try with water?"

Eloy is the one who takes the bowl and fills it both with cereal and water.  James digs in with a spoon, swallowing hard around the first spoonful and then the next.  Jace frowns.  It can't be that good.  But he remembers how Alexis raised him.  To never waste food and eat all the yucky vegetables and such.  It breaks his heart to see him try so hard.

"If it's not good," Eloy begins, "then don't force yourself to eat it."

"It-It's good," James lies.

Jace reaches for the spoon and shoves it into his mouth, internally wishing he hadn't done that.

"Yeah, not good," Jace says with a wrinkle of his nose.

He grabs the bowl and dumps it in the sink.

James looks a little defeated and really hungry as he holds his tummy.

"Cookies," Eloy whispers.

Jace nods and takes out the stale cookies.

James looks at the box with a tilt of his head, tentatively reaching out.

The first bite isn't so bad, and before they know he's eaten five.

"Good?" Jace smiles, ruffling his hair.

James nods, "really good."

Eloy can't help but look a little sad.  Is this what they have to look forward to?  Stale food?

And those depressive thoughts are crawling back into his mind.  Thoughts that are kissed away by Jace who wraps an arm around his waist protectively.

"We'll find something good," he promises against his ear, "we'll find some place safe."

Eloy doubts it, but nods anyway.