THIRTY-THREE

Hour three.

Eloy bites his lip.  He's sore, achy, and tired.  He wants to sleep, just close his eyes for a little bit, but the tiny wail of discomfort prevents him from doing so.

So, he focuses on his baby girl, feeding her and changing her diaper.

He jolts when an infected suddenly appears in the middle of the road.

He closes his eyes and cradles Hope's little head as Jace drives head on, the bump not unlike kne of those speed bumps.

"You okay?" Alexis asks concerned.

Eloy presses his thighs together, "uh, yeah, yes."

He doesn't sound too convincing and little James rests his head on Eloy's arm, staring wide eyed at the newborn baby and snuggling.

Eloy appreciates the comfort even if he's sweaty and clammy.

Hour ten.

They stop at a gas station somewhere in Virginia.

Eloy takes the opportunity to stretch and yawn.  His eyes don't stray far from the baby for long, she's sleeping soundly in a little cardboard box stuffed with pillows and blankets.  His heart clenches at the sight.

"I found more formula and bottled water," Alexis smiles.

Eloy grins, grateful for Alexis' help, "Thank you."

He takes the formula and tucks it in the trunk of the new car they picked up from Maryland.

Alexis becomes preoccupied with Ella and James who need to go to the bathroom.  Sean is somewhere in the convenience store trying to scavenge for food, snacks, nonperishables.

It's then that he hears the sound of retching.

His heart skyrockets and with determination, he grabs a knife and carefully peers around the car.

He finds Jace slumped over.

"Jay?" Eloy calls softly.

The man looks up and gives him a weak smile.

Eloy feels his heart shatter and he drops the knife as he approaches the man he loves.

"You're burning up," he whispers concerned.

"I feedle fern, m fe fine," Jace struggles incoherently, "I feel fine."

But even Eloy can see through the lie, through the agony it takes Jace to speak.

His eyes stray to the black bile staining the concrete and his stomach twists.

He looks up at Jace and he sees the man's palor change.

"I'm fine," he insists.

Eloy nods.  He wants to believe him.  Of course he does, but he stares at Jace's missing limb and his breath catches in his throat.

It's bleeding profusely.  But it's not quite blood.

At least... not entirely.

He wants to back away and run in fear.

But this is the man he loves, the man he trusts with his life.

"I'll get you there safely," Jace whispers, stumbling forward.

Eloy steadies his lover and he searches the man's eyes.

"I'll get you all safely across the border," Jace repeats stronger, "I promise."

Eloy nods numbly, but all he wants to ask is what's the point?

What's the point if you won't be with us?