Chapter Ten

Fear began ruling over Eliza as she choked on air, "Chen..? But...but why?"

Luhan tightened his jaw, "I'm not sure. Maybe it has something to do with Jessica."

"Why does she hate me so much?" she thought. "Oh.." was all that came out.

Luhan stopped the car outside her house as he helped her out, "Don't worry," he smiled his usual small smile. "She can't hurt you."

"Can't hurt me?!" Eliza exclaimed. "Chen tried to freaking kidnap me! Tao's next, Luhan. You can't stop-"

The boy cut her off as he spoke softly, "Kris will be there for you, but not for long." He sighed and continued as he bit his lower lip, "Just try to keep one thing in mind; don't fall in love with him." Pushing his hands into his pockets, he smiled again, "Goodbye, Eliza. Take care of yourself, and see you tomorrow."

He departed as she was left speechless, lost and dejected..sort of.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------- 

"Kris!" Luhan squealed excitedly as he waved a brochure frantically in front of his face. "There is a book fair at the public library today. We could hold our discussion there."

"First of all, calm down," Kris laughed lightly. "Second, I'm not sure that's a very good idea."

"Why not?! It'll take your mind off things. We can take Donghae too. Come on," he smiled sweetly as he dug the tip of his finger into his shoulder.

Kris smiled back as he finally gave in, "Fine."

So Luhan called in Donghae as well and the three of them headed to the address where the book fair was supposed to be held. Kris was suspicious since the very beginning (but he had to go since he didn't want to disappoint Luhan!) because it was held at night and when they arrived, it was vacant, plain and old, like it's usual self. There was just one thing missing - the librarian.

"Luhan..." Donghae said nervously. "This seems strange. I think we should turn back."

"We can't.." Luhan bawled.

Kris' eyes widened as he moved in, "Why not?"

"The door...it's locked."

"What?!" Kris shouted, a speckle of worry in his voice. He stepped towards the door as he tried to push open the handle, "It's locked! It. is. locked," he repeated slowly as he ran a baffled hand though his hair.

"On the bright side...we have books." 

Completely ignoring Luhan, it finally snapped. "Eliza," he shrieked as he tried to open the door but soon accepted his defeat. "I need to get to her," he yelled.

Donghae reached for him as he said comfortingly, "We'll find a way out, Kris. Don't worry."

"This is all my fault," Luhan weeped as he sat down on the carpeted flooring, leaning against the entrance. "I should've never gotten you two into this."

Kris scowled after he saw how apologetic Luhan looked as he sat down beside him, "It's not your fault."

"Not my fault? You're joking, right?" he exhaled has he covered his face with both hands. "I feel so...unwanted."

"Luhan..." Kris sighed, but before he could say anything else, Donghae pointed out, "Do you smell anything burning?"

His eyes darkened as he got up, "Donghae, you stay here with Luhan. I'll go see where it's coming from."

Kris walked to a ladder by a shelf, and climbed it as he began searching for anything strange. He scanned the room thoroughly, and that's when he spotted it. He could feel his heart beginning to sink in his chest as he got off of the ladder and sprinted back to the two boys who were seated by the door, brooding and quiet. "The bookshelf in the far corner of the room.." he panted as he broke into a sweat. "It's on fire."