Hired

hi, y'all. enjoy this long-ass introduction before this chick actually meets bangtan.

***

He wasn't much bigger than I was, hopefully, but he was far more intimidating as he stared me down from across the immaculate mahogany desk.

"I'm going to be frank with you—we don't usually hire people with your...qualifications."

I stared back at him as best I could, meeting his dark eyes steadily with my own. "Is that because I'm a woman, young, or American?"

I remembered the honorifics too late. Damn.

"It's the combination. Fresh out of college, limited knowledge of the language, and no classes in Asian studies."

"With all respect due," I started in what I hoped was accurate Korean—I'd been practicing for this interview for weeks—"I have a fundamental understanding of the culture, although I'm willing to learn more and I have already signed myself up for classes. The same goes for the language. I'm a quick learner and I'm sure I can manage. Finally, I do have the required skill set in the areas necessary for the position, and I think my abilities would make me valuable for your media team."

His face didn't change, still completely smooth and stony. "I think you're right."

Neither of us moved for a few seconds. Then he said, slowly, "I'm grabbing the necessary papers you'll need to sign if you accept the job. There are a few documents required by the government, very similar to the American process, I'm sure, and the rest are company agreements, all the usual: medical, dress code, accommodated living space, regulations, a dating disclosure, employee benefits, and so on."

He moved smoothly out of his chair, sending it rolling behind him in a succinct movement while his right hand straightened his impeccable black suit jacket and the other went to his hair. His overall appearance was far more put together than I ever had the mind to be, especially after the 14-hour flight I had just come off of.

After he left the room, I had a moment to glance at my surroundings and understand just exactly what I'd gotten myself into a little better. The office was neat and square in every sense of the word—square chairs, square desk, square pots for the green plants that contrasted against the white and tan theme of the room. It said official, efficient—hopefully just a testament to the behavior and setup of the management and not the media team. I'd be suffocated if I had to be creative in these conditions.

I was staring at a picture of my interviewer with a group of boys around him when he strode back in, his polished shoes announcing his arrival with a set of clicks echoing down the hallway a few seconds before he reached the door.

"Can you start today?"

My composure, or what little I had of it, failed this time. I felt my mouth fall open. "Today? Can I have time to unpack my bags?"

He nodded his head in a terse movement. "Of course. As mentioned, we provide your living space, in a compound with the rest of the team adjacent to the boys, who you should meet within the next few hours. I'm assuming you didn't have furniture shipped over, which is fine—the place is fully furnished. You also receive a grocery, travel, dress, and entertainment stipend, although I suspect you won't be driving for a few months at least. Any questions?"

"None."

"Good. Feel free to ask anyone at anytime if questions do arise. We understand that the learning curve may be severe for you in a new country; however, we expect that your accomplishments are an investment that we can be sure of."

"Thank you." After a second of silence, I stood, up, taking the statement as my cue to leave. I started to stick out my hand, but quickly scratched my arm and then lowered my upper body into a small bow.

I met his eyes again, and I wasn't sure if he was smiling or grimacing. "Minji will escort you to your room." He paused. "Welcome to Big Hit Entertainment."