Chapter 3: Proposal

Three years later...
     Link awoke to complete silence and cold. He opened his eyes, only to close them once again for overwhelming brightness entered his newly born eyes of the morning. He shifted, feeling warm in his covers, when he realized that Zelda wasn't there.
      Link's eyes shot open. He sat up and looked around, wondering what time it was for how bright and early it was. The Sheikah Slate read 12:35 p.m., which worried Link for he had plans for the day. He rubbed his eyes, and felt the night table next to him for a small box. After finding it, he got out of bed and lazily got dressed in a blue long sleeved tunic and greyish tan trousers.
      When Link walked to the door, he thought, What if Zelda says no? What if...what if she won't accept me? He grasped the box in his hands tighter for comfort. The jagged, white corners with gold lining and shiny glitter only made Link feel worse.

     Link curiously, yet amazed, strode down the walls of Hyrule Castle, it's large, sturdy wall hundreds upon thousands of tears old. Each and every intricate hallway almost like a red carpeted maze through the entire castle. Then he thought about the queen—his queen—and grinned. So much had changed in the past year. Link had become a more social person, while Zelda had matured and fulfilled her duties as queen, but still finding time to spend with Link.
      As Zelda's twenty-first birthday present, Link was finally going to ask her for her hand in marriage—a longing that he'd had practically forever. Then nervousness swept over him, leaving Link with a cold sweat. He shook the pessimistic thoughts and possibilities away and focused on the present.
      When Link arrived at Zelda's room, he smiled, finding her sitting quietly and peacefully as he carefully opened her door—the only one allowed to enter without permission. He carefully stepped behind her, and peered over Zelda's shoulder to see what she was reading. It was a story about the past. There wasn't much to read, for many drawings were scattered across the pages. One of them shown a man—about Link's age—and a beautiful girl—who looked much like Zelda, but with bangs.
       Link breathed, "Wow..." and startled Zelda. Alarmed, she looked up, only to see Link's ocean blue gaze. He smirked, and placed the Silent Princess he had in his pocket onto Zelda's face. Tied unto it was a thin, golden string that lead straight to a runaway Link, who dashed down the halls—placing Silent Princesses ever so often so Zelda could be slowed down as she followed the trail.
      Link lead the trail all the way to a bright, sun-drown balcony where he had decorated it with roses, Hearty Durian Blossoms—which looked like brilliant golden hearts—and two little Silent Princesses that sat together in a little pink vase.
      Moments later, an astonished Zelda came padding in, gazing at the gorgeous scene. Thoughts raced through her mind, asking herself what or why or how, but it was all interrupted with Link's sacred words.
     Link had bent down on one knee, gazing at Zelda with a watery view—his eyes sparkling—as he dug into his pocket for the box. Then, he presented the box to Zelda and opened it, revealing a small, silver ring with a blue diamond in the center, carved out in the shape of a flower with five pointed petals.
      Zelda gasped as her vision locked with Link's—glancing at the ring—and fell silent, beginning to cry.
      Her future, her fate, her life, her dear Link—everything—was all coming to an end and a beginning as she imagined a future with Link, and savored the thoughts. All was going to be perfect. All was going to be complete...it was now just one last step: to say yes.
     Holding back a yelp for joy, Zelda wound up all her breath, which only came out like a whisper, and said, "Yes...yes! Yes, Link! Of course!"
     They were both crying by now as they embraced each other in a warm hug, ignoring the steps that had begun in a crescendo as they neared.
      Link and Zelda both looked towards the entranced to the balcony and were greeted by Impa and Paya, who were both smiling widely and clapping.
      Link stared into Zelda's gorgeous gaze and was lost in his own world, as he held Zelda close a enjoyed the feeling of her soft, warm lips against his. He closed his teary eyes and wondered: what was the future going to hold? Will he ever know, or was just time that will tell?
      That night, the two shared great passion as they both longed for the day to near, not caring whether they were married yet or not.