11. Burning the Candle

"There must be an explanation," Naylor's tall form paced his host's study. Three days had passed since the heated encounter in the garden. Three days of arguing, cajoling and rooting out every possible question and answer. The two noblemen had barely left the room, much to Birgit's consternation and Sirena's relief. They took their meals in the large den, pouring over journals and maps, memories and scouting reports.

Donovan's hair stood on end from countless frustrated swipes. Naylor's fine tunic was rumpled from sleep, the man had not even bothered to return to the chambers provided him, opting instead for short naps in the large chair by the fireplace.

"I assure you, Naylor we will find it." Donovan labored through a large tome entitled; Draesia: A people's history.

"She is obviously foreign, most likely even Draesian. She is the proper age and she even has the necklace, but Donovan, she is alone. You said yourself she is an orphan, by her own admission. She certainly doesn't have the bearing or education Illiana would have insisted she learn. She doesn't even seem to recognize you as her own countryman. Didn't you tell me you'd seen Illiana's daughter upon a time?"

"Aye but she was no more than a babe, barely four as I recall. I was no more than a lad of ten or eleven last I saw her or Illiana. It's been an age, Naylor."

"Perhaps the girl is lying about her mother?"

"Why would she lie about her mother? More to the point, why wouldn't she be with her mother now? Even so, what of the necklace? We are both in agreement, the girl has Illiana's necklace does she not?"

Lord Blanche picked up a tattered journal and skimmed expertly through the pages before plunking it back down on the desk. A beautifully detailed sketch of a crystal necklace danced across the parchment. "Aye," the tall man agreed tiredly. "I myself saw the Moon Star on Odette's lovely neck when I was just a boy. Odette had yet to pass the star to her daughter, Illiana. It was my first visit to Draesia. My first journey outside of Endar. I was but ten." He slid into the large overstuffed chair recalling happier times. "I came with my father and uncle. We escorted my older cousin, Darius. Did you ever meet Darius?"

"I was just a wee lad, but yes, I did. I practically worshipped him as a boy, as did my father."

"Aye, you and every other man in the twin Kingdoms. My father and uncle traveled to Cǽɍnon to arrange the union between Illiana and Darius. It was also their first meeting. I swear to you I have never seen anyone so spellbound in my entire life. My cousin lost his heart the moment he laid eyes upon her. She was naught more than sixteen and already more beautiful than any in the kingdom."

"Aye, I remember the stories well Naylor, I do believe Illiana lost her heart as well."

"Tis true. Songs of their love traveled the kingdoms, the hope of every love-struck young maiden."

"Aye and the bane of every wily young lad." The two friends laughed heartily before falling into silence. Memories suffused the room, a reminder of youth and simpler, better days.

"I have never laid eyes on a city more beautiful than Cǽɍnon. Never."

"Ah, but that is because you have yet to see Endar, my friend. All of our cities are jewels."

"You lie; surely there is none better than my capitol?"

"Endar is a beautiful country, but yes, I must agree, Cǽɍnon was unparalleled."

A shadow passed over Donovan's face. "Was...I don't imagine there is much left of my city, or my people."

"It was unparalleled and will be again someday my friend, have faith. We will see the Shining city restored."

Hours passed and daylight slowly crept across the floor until it was but a thin line near the ceiling. Book after book, page after page they searched, globs of melted wax and crumpled sheaves of notes littering every surface.

"Sweet Saints above," Donovan whispered into the dim light.

Naylor was at his side in a split second, tilting crazily over the man's shoulder. His eyes traveled the page until they landed on a painting. "By Odin's ghost, it's her. It's really her."

"Aye and Darius and...sweet mercy. She is the spitting image of Illiana you cannot deny that."

"Truly, I cannot my friend. Saints, you did it," Naylor stared at Donovan in astonishment. "You really did it. After all these years, you've found her."

"We found her."

"Aye, but it will be better received from you, old friend. I do not think the girl is quite taken with me."

Donovan smirked. "I hadn't noticed."