Glossary/Appendix

QUICK NOTE! This section has yet to be edited and contains information included in the later books of this series...Enjoy! :) P.S. I have added a brief pronunciation guide as requested!

P.S.S... the above is a map of Sirena's world 

MYTHICAL CREATURES

Sand Vypers- Not to be confused with Dragons. Native desert dwellers who pray on large mammals (preferably of the human variety). Though they possess wings,  Sand Vypers are incapable of true flight, though they are excellent gliders. They are predatory creatures of magic, capable of moving through earth and sand like water. Their gaze can be hypnotic if they wish though they only use this talent with formidable foes.  They are legless, serpent-like creatures with deadly spear-like stingers. Sand Vypers are formidable also for their sheer size. In some extreme cases they have been known to be as large as a ship. They are solitary creatures that prefer to hunt at night and understandably, these winged horrors have featured in many nightmares across the globe. 

Dragons- Fierce, loyal, cunning and vain creatures that are nearly extinct. They have a strong love of treasure and a fierce desire to protect their hordes. Known to live for thousands of years; the older of their species eat less and sleep longer. Some of the oldest have been known to sleep for centuries.  Dragons are EXTREMELY grumpy if awoken from sleep. Their only natural enemy and true competitors of the skies were Phoenixes. Despite their incredible intelligence they are rarely able to communicate outside their race other than with storm-birds (what they called phoenix). Their lack of communication outside of their own race was not always an issue. This is said to have been a curse for a long-forgotten misdeed. Due to the lack of communication, Dragons have earned a rather unfortunate reputation for madness and mayhem. They tend to be very misunderstood creatures.

Knurles- Annoying little mischief makers that like to hide in dark, warm places, like in cupboards or under beds. They are solitary creatures that are grouchy and stubborn with large, dark, beady eyes and pointy, sharp grey teeth. Usually somewhat smelly, the have furry little bodies about the size of a house cat. They like to nest and will steal and chew at soft things to line their nests.

Phoenix (Storm Birds, Sun-Gods)- Extinct, fierce, predatory, bird-like creatures, though much larger. Very long life-spans, though not as near as long as dragons (avg. 500-700 years). Intelligent and warring creatures, though they did not in-fight like dragons, keeping peace amongst themselves. Controlled certain elements like lightning/fire/wind/water etc...

Sprites- Captivated by shiny objects and will often steal things if small enough. They are social creatures who prefer to live in nests or hives, unlike knurles who prefer to live alone. They prefer to sleep during the day, performing their mischief at night. Not very fond of sunlight. Known to move objects about and menace pets. They have an extreme taste for sweet things and can be bribed. For people who wish to be rid of sprites they often leave out sweets laced with Valerian, a common sleeping herb. Tiny, slightly luminescent little beings with wispy wings. Completely hairless with huge eyes and small pointy ears. Usually blue or white and on rare occasions green. Green sprites are often pack leaders and always extra trouble!

The Gray Folk (Seers)- Very much like humans and elves as far as basic physical appearance and intelligence. Mystical beings who watch the heavens for signs and portents. They are a race gifted with foresight. Very tribal in both customs and apparel. Not much is known about this race. They are a secretive group who like to keep to themselves. Very tall and slim creatures aptly name for their gray hued skin. 

Wraiths- An immensely powerful Phoenix born once every few hundred years, capable of controlling several elements.  These powerful beings tend to have much shorter life spans than their brethren since their incredible power always draws attention. The Wraith on average, only lived two to three hundred years.

 THE GODS OF Ferren

The vast majority of religions in Ferren are polytheistic,  dating back to the beginning of the Age of Man. Very few Historical records date before this time period when the magical races held sway over Ferren.

Bask- God of good fortune

Ilia- Lady Ilia, the travelers goddess

Mook- God of the harvest and of plenty

Peck- God of mischief

Bathos- God of the seas and Ocean

Balfour- God of war

Zoriah- Creator, Father, Judge

Sorsha- Goddess of Chaos

New Religion- One God (the undying God also known as the Most High or as Elan). Creator and ruler of the undying lands, thought to be new but in fact was the known religion of the elves, far surpassing any other religion of Ferren in age.

MONEY SYSTEM

Cronos- Large, thick and gold in color with the likeness of Bask stamped upon it.

Wimm- Square and silver in color, no hole and with the image of a tower stamped upon its surface

Gnack- A dull iron color, oblong in shape with a rectangular hole in the center.

Copper- Round and Bronze in color with a triangular hole in the center. 

Merchants would string their bronze coppers on special belts called an Ubi. These belts were designed with strong fibres so they cannot be snipped by thieves. Each belt was designed specifically to hold 200 hundred coppers. A full belt meant a successful day, a lean belt made an unhappy merchant. For a wealthy merchant or even on occasion a Nobleman a similar belt called a Varro is common. Varro's contained special pouches to hold Wimm's and Cronos. Some ancient Varro's have even been said to carry special enchantments meant to protect and enrich the wearer.

A simple meal would be between 3 and 5 coppers

A bag of flour or salt a gnack

A bag of sugar or coffee a wimm

Lord Blanches room at the Boar a cronos (though the room is nicer, it is believed to be a gross overcharge. A cronos should get him a settee and a desk, a plush rug and a room with a view.)

A pint of ale 2 coppers

A regular room shared at the Boar 2 wimm, which includes one hot meal. Anymore meals you pay extra for! Ock is a stingy man!

PRONUNCIATION GUIDE

Sirena- Si-ren-uh 

Jarsha- Jar-shuh

Letty- Let-ee

Birgit- Bur-jit

Illiana- illy-on-uh

Daagon- Day-gone

Undín- oon-den

Draesia- Dray-zhuh

Barund- Buh-roond

Derego- Deh-ray-go

Duath- Dew-wath

Shyba- shy-bah

If I have left any other perplexing names out, please let me know and I will add them to the pronunciation guide! :)