21. Forgiveness

A gentle hand touched her aching brow, brushing back a stray lock. Her eyes eased open, relieved to find she lay in darkness. Her head throbbed in a steady rhythm, a moan escaping her lips. Sirena turned to see Bea's kind eyes filled with tears. It was her undoing. "I am a monster!" She wailed. Beatrice scooped her up and they cried for a time. They cried for all they had lost, for all the cruelties they had suffered at the hands of others. They cried for each other.

"You are no monster." Beatrice whispered in her ear. "You are strong and powerful and kind."

"How can you say such a thing after what I did to you!"

"I know your heart. I am assured in your affection for me."

"How?"

"You have never given me reason to believe otherwise."

"Bea...you have always been so kind and wise and confident. How can you be so compassionate after everything we've been through? You bear as many scars as I." Sirena traced the tattoo upon on her friend's shoulder.

"There is so much hate in this world Si. Hatred is a much crueler master than any we've known and I refuse to let him rule me." She took a hand and pressed it to her heart. "The only freedom I've ever known has been in here. I will not give myself away so easily."

Bea's simple logic left her speechless. Let go of her hatred? Was it even possible? "I don't know that I can." She bowed her head in shame. "Teach me how." It was not so much a question as it was a desperate plea.

"Is this something you truly wish?"

"Yes!"

"Forgive them." She whispered.

Sirena did not have to ask to whom she referred. White hot anger surged through her once more and her head throbbed in response. Her fingers searched her scalp, landing upon a large knot. She hissed as a sharp pain lanced through her head when she touched it. Bea placed a cool cloth on the tender spot. "See what it costs you?" She spoke gently. "They have made a great many mistakes but I believe they truly care for you." Beatrice urged her back onto the pillow. "When you disappeared there were many who came looking for you." Sirena shot up in alarm, only to sink back with a groan. "One such man went by the name Dirk. He came to the Tavern every night. He was there the night we first met Lord Blanche." Beatrice dabbed tenderly at her head. "Oh as it happens Lord Blanche is not so much a Lord as he is a Prince."

"What! How do you know this?"

"I spoke with him." She stated simply. "I know you are determined to dislike him Si but he really is not a bad fellow- er prince." Sirena could only gape at her friend. She had struck a prince! Not only had she accused him of lechery she had actually hit him!

"Dirk asked many a question about you. He became friendly with the barmaid and with Ock and whoever else he could cozy up to." Beatrice shuddered, "there were others who came and went in search of you."

"Others?"

"Yes. Oh Sirena some of them seemed so evil! Even Dirk kept away from them."

"Who were they?" Beatrice gave her a long, solemn look. Sirena gasped, "mages!"

"Yes, Kingsmen."

"They would have found me..." She sat upright as a thought struck her , ignoring the wave of pain. "They DID find me! The soldier in the forest!" Everything fell into place. She was not as unknown as she had thought. Her birthright had never seemed real to her until that moment. "It's all true...everything Donovan said is true." The last of her reserves seemed crumble. She would never be Si the orphan girl, nay the slave, again. Her head sunk into her hands. "I have been a fool."

"No. You have been lost dear one." Bea cupped her cheek. "Can you see your true enemy now?"

An image crystallized in her mind. A figure larger than life, with a vicious iron crown and golden eyes. "Aye."