Chapter 2: first day

I open my eyes to see my mom standing next to my bed with 2 duffel bags.

Me:mom? What's going on?

I look at the clock on my nightstand and it's 6:32 AM. I look back at my mom

Mom:you're going to camp

rubbing my eyes I say

Me:wait what?

Mom:you heard me. You are going to camp.

Me:what camp?

Mom:remember the one you used to go to with Chelsea, the lifeguard one. You're gong there except you'll be counseling now.

Me:what? Chelsea? Mom its the first day of summer

Mom:Gracie just get out of bed and meet me in the kitchen you're already late.

My mom walks out to the hallway and goes to the kitchen.

I stay in bed for about 3 minutes processing what my mom just said. I say to myself its the first day of summer and I'm already going to camp, really? I get up and go to my bathroom. I put on my black one piece swimsuit and got everything ready, when I realized that I can't pack everything that quick since I'm already late. I rush downstairs and get to my mom.

Gracie:hey mom guess what?

Mom:what?

Gracie:I'm late right?

I put on a devious smile and put one hand on my hip, while my mom puts cubed fruits in a container.

Mom:yes you are, are you ready?

Gracie:no, but I don't have to because there's no way I can pack that quick for a two month camp.

my mom laughs while she finishes putting all the fruit in the container and puts the lid on.

Mom:did you pay any attention to the 2 bags i was holding while I woke you up, Gracie?

she raises her eyebrows while looking at me and she motions to 2 big black and yellow duffel bags right next to me on the counter.

Gracie:well mom like I said first day of summer I'm tired as hell

Mom:Gracie I already signed you up, you're going and you're going to make new friends.

Gracie:mom did you forget about Stewart and Hallie?

Mom:I mean new friends, I love Stewart and Hallie, but you have to make new friends.

Gracie:why? I'm fine the way I am mom.

Mom:no you're not Gracie. I know what you're doing

tears all of a sudden fill her grey blue eyes that I resemble. I look at her while holding my arms hoping my cuts didn't show through my long sleeve light green sweater. She looks down at my wrists.

Mom:I know you're cutting yourself Gracie. I feel like a horrible mom not noticing sooner. I want to send you to camp to not do this to yourself, you're so beautiful Gracie. It hurts me seeing you like this and not telling.

after a long time looking at each other while my mom sniffles and trembles I say

Gracie:no one else knew but me. Now you know. I know you're not proud of me, I didn't wanna tell you to make you any less proud.

my mom says in a soft and guilty tone

Mom:Goddamit, you think I'm not proud of you? You think I wish I had Chelsea around instead of you? You think I miss Kyle and hope he could be raised back from the dead and be here with me instead of you? Is that how it seems to you? Really?

Gracie:that's not what I meant mom, I miss Kyle too, okay? It's not you, it's not you.

I go up to her slowly and hug her while she cries on my arm. She pulls away a few seconds later wiping away tears and says

Gracie:mom I'll go for you okay? I'll go and I'll try to make friends.

Mom:yeah we should go but we will talk about this later alright?

Gracie:yeah mom I promise and it's not because of you. I love you mom.

Mom:I love you too Gracie I love you so much.....we have to get going, come on.

We get my bags, the cubed fruit and everything else I need. We get outside and get in the car and start to drive there.