Chapter Twenty-Nine

Chapter Twenty-Nine: Surviving The Ring

Samari took a deep breath and released it, shaking throughout the action. She fought the urge to turn around and walk away, which was easier than she thought because her feet were glued to the ground. No matter how much she tried, she was unable to summon courage for her match.

Not only did she make it to the ring on time, but she was able to get there without any trouble. After hours of watching fights, the crowd had died down quite a bit. There were still people around to cheer, but now it was sometimes quite enough to hear individual voices cheering.

"...if you are unable to continue fighting or are knocked out of the ring, you're out. I can pull out fighters for any logical reason. Weapons are allowed, but only nonlethal ones, so no knives, guns,  or grenades. Does everyone understand so far?" the referee asked.

Some contestants nodded while others gave verbal confirmation.

"Uhm, there's only six of us here," someone mentioned.

The referee sighed, "He's not here, so he's not competing. Whatever the reason, he's already out." He paused, waiting for more questions, but none arose. "Alright. Spread out along the edges. Now to your opponents, then raise your right hand to signal you're ready. Once the horn sounds, you can begin. If you draw your weapons or activate your ticon before the horn, even on 'accident, ' you will be out."

Nodding to them, he left the ring. Upon his departure, the contestants also made their way to the spots along the edge. Not sure where to go, Samari stood in her spot for a bit before heading to the edge behind her.

"Hey, Sam!"

She turned in the direction of the voice and saw Brad walking nearby her. Blinking rapidly, she made sure she wasn't just imagining him. How had she not known that they would be competing against each other?

"Don't worry; just follow my lead. We'll wait until we are the last two left, and them one of us will just walk out of the ring. Sound good?" he suggested.

Nodding, she felt some confidence return from knowing she wasn't alone. I'll help him get to the final two, and then I'll walk out. Just avoid conflict and interfere when I think I can get someone out, just like Cy did.

Satisfied with her plan, she bowed and raised her arm as instructed. While her strategy was planned out, she had little idea of what she would actually do as she never had a ticon fight before. It was as if all of her mage training had locked itself in a box in the back of her mind and thrown away the key, much like her ticon.

BA-LUP!

At the sound, Brad sprang into action. Charging an energy shot, he sent four shock balls at the person across from him. The shots landed on some kind of net, keeping them from taking the direct attack.

"Don't look away!"

Samari looked to her right just as the guy charging at her threw a punch. Her body acted on its own, pivoting her away and pushing him forward.

He stumbled. As he glanced over his shoulder, Samari twirled back to him. Again, he advanced, yet kept himself compact defensively.

"Seven Stars Blinding Light!" she casted.

Flashes of light left her outstretched hand. Screaming, he covered his eyes too late.

She backed towards the edge of the ring.

He blinked rapidly, looking for his opponent. His eyes did not want to stay open, but he somehow spotted her and ran to tackle her.

When he was close, she crouched down. He tripped over her back, and she used the momentum to flip him out of the ring.