Chapter IV • Monaco

I was buzzing with excitement

I was buzzing with excitement. Somehow, by some God-sent miracle, I had managed to guilt Pepper into letting me come to Monaco by constantly dropping complaints about Evil Debra, the babysitter. It hadn't taken long for Pepper to crack; the woman was strong of will but not when it came to me. I was her weakness.

And so I found myself sat in a cream coloured leather seat, soaring through the blue skies over the Atlantic Ocean, the engines of the jet roaring in my ears, on my way to Monaco.

Planes weren't something that I often went on as Pepper didn't usually let me come on trips with her and dad so, at take off, I had a flutter of nerves in the pit of my stomach. These butterflies were now gone, however, and I was perfectly content to stay up above the world forever. Unfortunately, that wasn't possible.

As usual, when dad was out in public for an event, we immediately drew the attention of the camera-wielding paparazzi and reporters who had been positioned behind a tall barrier beside the road. No matter how many times this sort of thing happened, I still hadn't gotten used to it completely; it still made me uncomfortable to have so many eyes on me.

I was led into a grand looking hotel called the Hotel de Paris by Pepper who had my hand in a tight grip - as she usually did when we were in these situations - steering me in the right direction. Pepper, dad and I were directed into a restaurant area of the hotel while Happy went to wait outside, taking the red case which contained one of dad's suits with him.

"You know, it's Europe. Whatever happens in the next 20 minutes, just go with it."

"Go with it? Go with what?"

"Mr Stark?" Said a familiar voice. Natalie walked up to us, wearing a tight red dress and a smile. Pepper's eye blink in surprise at seeing the other redhead.

"Hey."

"Hello. How was your flight?" Asked Natalie, a smile gracing her soft features.

"It was excellent. Boy, it's nice to see you." A waiter offered the two adults a glass of what I assumed to be some sort of alcohol which Tony took almost instantaneously.

"We have one photographer from the ACM if you don't mind." A man with a camera appeared behind the assistant. "Okay?" Dad hummed in consent and Natalie took the alcohol away for the photo.

"When did this happen?" Said Pepper, a look of surprise still on her freckled face as she stared at Tony, who was beaming toothily while the photographer snapped pictures of the three of us. I tried my best to match my father's grin but the best I could muster was a small smile which I knew looked as fake as the boobs of some of the women in the room.

"What? You made me do it."

"I made you do what?"

"You quit. Smile." Said Tony through his smile, gesturing to the camera, "Look, right there. Stop acting constipated. Don't flare your nostrils."