three.

"Come on, darling

"Come on, darling. Time to wake up," Kol murmured, pressing a kiss to my forehead. My eyes popped open and I sat up with a start, bumping my head on the hard wood of the table.

"Ow, fuck."

We must have fallen asleep in a tangle of limbs inside a booth at the bar, the faint persimmon light outside the window telling me that it was just barely sunrise. I got up from the table, grabbing my discarded clothes from the floor and slipping them over my aching muscles.

"Next time, remind me that falling asleep at the bar is not worth this pain," I sighed, stretching and rubbing the sore spot at the base of my neck.

"Next time, eh?" Kol smirked sleepily, rising slow from his spot on the bench.

"Yeah. Next time. But remember, it's a secret. Marcel will throw a fit and Caroline will be furious."

"Mm-hmm, I'll take it to my grave love, as long as you do that thing with your tongue again," he said, closing his eyes at the memory.

"You have some pretty neat tricks with your tongue too, Mikaelson," I purred, throwing him a wink as I stepped into my shoes. "I've got to run, though. I'll see you tonight," I called over my shoulder as I pushed out the door.

As the door swung shut behind me, I could've sworn I heard him mumble, "I am so fucked."

***

My fingers danced along the silky fabric at my neck and I frowned, adjusting the scarf I'd been forced to wear to classes that morning. Kol had littered my skin with so many hickeys, the entire concealer section of Sephora couldn't help me hide them all.

"I just stopped by the market, Car. Do you need anything?" The phone was cradled between my ear and my shoulder, my fingers curled around the handle of a blue plastic basket as I strolled through the aisles and listened to my roommate rattle off her selections.

After disconnecting the phone, I found the bottle-lined end cap. As I scanned the labels of wine, my eyes narrowed in concentration, I felt a presence behind me.

"Excuse me," a deep, velvety voice rumbled.

His voice flowed over me with a pleasant rush, but I shook it off and stepped out of his way. Despite the precaution, his elbow brushed against mine anyway.

I snuck a sideways glance and our eyes met, causing a blush to crawl over my cheeks.

He was one of the most beautiful people I had ever seen, with eyes the color of the earth after the rain, and a stubble covered jaw that looked sharp enough to cut steel. His coffee colored hair was brushed and gelled neatly to the side, but my fingers tingled with the urge to tousle the strands.

"Hello, there," he said softly, as he reached for a bottle identical to the one I was holding. "It seems you have excellent taste in wine."

"Oh, it's not mine. My roommate fancies herself something of a wine connoisseur, and she requested this one," I admitted, with a shrug.