five.

Wired, and I'm tiredThink I'll sleep in my clothes on the floorMaybe this mattress will spin on its axisAnd find me on yours

Think I'll sleep in my clothes on the floor
Maybe this mattress will spin on its axis
And find me on yours..

My chest was burning and it had become increasingly difficult to breathe. Tears pricked at the corners of my eyes as I rounded the building.

"Serena? Is everything okay?"

I lifted my gaze and looked straight into the concerned face of Elijah Mikaelson.

"Oh, hey, Elijah." I straightened my spine, trying to subtly wipe at my eyes with the pads of my fingers. "Yeah. Yeah, I'm fine."

Elijah wore an expression of disquiet as he moved closer to me and pulled something from his pocket. "Of course you are," he said, handing over a handkerchief.

"Thanks," I murmured, dabbing under my eyes quickly with the stiff, white fabric.

I closed my eyes, reminding myself that unlike the time I'd stumbled upon Jackson with another woman, Kol was not my boyfriend. Mentally scolding myself for overreacting, I licked my lips and fluffed my hair.

"Where are you heading? I was just about to grab some breakfast," he said, gesturing toward the coffeehouse I'd just fled in a panic.

If Elijah saw Kol canoodling with Davina, he'd know that Kol had been lying about being in a serious relationship with me. And while getting a little revenge on Kol sounded tempting, I would never hurt him on purpose.

"If you want breakfast, Grimoire Diner is a much better choice. It's only a couple blocks from here." I gestured over my shoulder.

"Would you care to join me? I detest dining alone, and it would be nice to get to know my brother's girlfriend," he said. I was fairly certain he was just being polite and trying to distract me from my problems, but I found myself agreeing anyway.

"Yeah, I'd like that."

The corners of his lips curled just the tiniest bit as he followed my lead, turning in the opposite direction to head towards the diner. In true businessman fashion, Elijah walked with long, purposeful strides, and I struggled to keep up.

"Kol tells me you are also a student," Elijah said.

"Yeah. I'm going for my Master's in astronomy."

"Well, that's certainly admirable. I, too, am fascinated by the wonders of the universe. Unfortunately, Mikaelson Investments does not deal with such things very often," he sighed.

"Well, I'm sure managing portfolios and stock options is just as titillating," I teased, stepping through the door as he pulled it open for me.

"Hey, Serena!" The diner owner, Bonnie Bennett, called out as we walked towards the hostess stand. "Sit anywhere you want and I'll grab some coffee."