Logan

Logan landed gently on the balcony and counted the windows. If Jeoff was right, this was Kiara's room. The moonlight reflected off the glass doors, forcing Logan to put his face against them to see inside. The room was decadent, to say the least. Gold trimmings and all. He undid the latch on the other side with Air Mancing and entered, floating an inch above the carpeted floor.

The girl in the bed was sleeping diagonally, her hair fanned out behind her head on the pillow. Her blankets looked like she'd kicked them around a fair bit. He scooped her up with Air Mancing, keeping a blanket wrapped around her, and took off into the night.

So, this girl was supposed to be some sort of super-powerful Mancer? He glanced back at her, still completely asleep. At least she didn't snore. If their places were switched, Logan would've kicked her ass already and gone back to sleep.

Apparently Boss wanted to recruit her. He'd have to train her first. Though considering how much Boss actually involved himself in the business of the Guild, it would probably be either Logan or even Ada that would teach her.

Ada. The right-hand woman to Boss, she was in on all of his secrets, including his name. And she wouldn't let Logan forget it. Except, due to Jeoff's meeting just two days ago, Boss' name, Adriel, had been revealed to him. Best to keep it for later. It'll be so much more satisfying.

He landed at the door to The Twisted Wyrm, the errant breeze of his travels swinging the faded wooden sign and sending its chains squeaking.

The door swung open, but there was no one there to greet him. Which is what the normal person would think. Then the normal person would walk in, and look around.

The normal person would die.

Ada side-stepped into view from the shadows of the doorway. "Enjoy babysitting?" She said with a smirk. She craned her head to see over his shoulder at the still-sleeping girl, and batted away Logan's knife with her hand.

"Nice try, but you should be using your Mancing."

Logan felt a cold point on the back of his skull, but he quickly ripped it away with Air Mancing and tossed it back to her.

"How did it go?" She asked.

"Laughably easy. You could've done it."

"I'm going to pretend I didn't hear that." Ada had pulled out her pipe and a small bag of Grim leaves. She crushed some into the bowl of the pipe, where they leaked a small amount of reddish liquid before she snapped her fingers and they burst into flame.

She brought it to her mouth and breathed deeply, expelling the infamous purple smoke from her nose and mouth. "Wanna play?" She said, taking out a single leaf and holding it up.

"Sure."

The game of Rip was simple. It only requires a leaf or a piece of paper. One of the players, the Keeper, would use Air Mancing to hold the leaf or paper in perfect condition. Flat and together. The Ripper would try to use only their Air Mancing to rip the leaf or paper apart. It was a simple game played by all Mancers in their spare time.

But for Logan and Ada, it was serious. Ada had gone completely undefeated against Logan, but he had a new trick up his sleeve.

First, he needed to put down the girl. He lowered her to the damp grass, the blanket becoming soggy on the cold, wet stones outside. Both Mancers looked at her, looked at eachother, then at her again for a few seconds. Nothing.

Ada smirked and said "You're not going to make her an excuse for losing, are you?"

"On the contrary. It'll make it better when I win."